Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wuts up guys...

does anybody know the right way i should break in my freshly built bottom end?... a couple of people were tellin me to stay below 3 grand for 200 miles.if someone can do a write up ont his or something i would really appreate it thaank you.....

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
You are going to get quite a lot of different opinions on this.

Here is what I did.

I stayed below 3000 rpms for about 1500 miles with doing an oil change at 750 miles and 1500 miles. Then I kept it under 4000 rpms for the remainder 1500 miles. I think I did a total of 4 oil changes in the 3000 miles I drove to break in my motor. I kept it out of boost most of the time during that break in.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Thats a soft break in. Do a search for "hard break-in" and thats the other side of the tracks. My opinion is to do a hard break in because they have logically sound reasoning and explanations, whereas the soft breakin arguement just says "it won't break the engine".

Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
HMM. I suggest both. Basicaly a hard break in does aid in ring seating. However you dont need rpm's to seat rings, just engine load. So I recommned keeping the rpm's down, but place alot of load on the engine. Gradualy raise the rpm's like suggested, just keep varying the engine speed and place and as much load on the engine as often as possible.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
So do a lot of aceleration runs, but shift at low RPM?

·
Registered
163 Posts
So do a lot of aceleration runs, but shift at low RPM?
Yeah basicaly. When your driving around, accelerate fairly (or really if you like) hard, but keep the rpm's down. If you get on the hwy dont cruise. Say your doing 65, engine brake to 60 then floor it back up to 65 then engine brake to 60 and do it again. Yeah its annoying and you might piss people off but who cares. You only gotta do it for 1000 miles or so.

BTW, no synthetic for atleast 3k and I reccomend 5K or more. Also look at oil data sheets and find an oil that carries alot of moly. Hondas break in oil carries alot of moly. Really helps with the break in.

Its super important you let your engine fully warm up during the break in period before driving, and i mean fully!

I like to start a fresh engine and let it idle for 30 minutes then I go make 8-10 low rpm wot pulls from 2-3k in 3rd after which I change the oil.

Start at 3k for a rev limit and every 250 miles raise the rev limit 1k

change the oil at 500 miles and 1000.

This is MY opinion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On the last two that I've done, I did an idle for 30 mins... Shut it down, changed the oil...

The next time, I spent about 30-45 mins climbing hills with the cars, and engine breaking down the other side, trying to keep under 4K. Changed the oil again....

Third time, took it out, driving on the freeway, modulating the RPM's.

After I got a 100-150 miles on the motor, then started driving it fairly normal. at 500 miles, I changed the oil again and went to the dyno :)

Since then, I've just been driving it like normal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
every engine ive built i take to the steepest hill i can find, put it into 2nd and smash up the hill all the way to redline. and drive it like i would if it had 30k on it. never had a problem, rings seated great, never smoked, just ran strong.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I have to say that the last motor i built I didnt break it in that much at all. I have about 500 miles on it now but i have taken it to 8k since the first day i dropped it in. I wouldnt recommend doing that though. But I have another motor waiting in the garage. Doesnt leak, smoke or anything. But I have been building them for almost 20 years.

·
Registered
639 Posts
All i know the worst thing to do to a new motor is to decelerate it.. if you need to stop or slow down put the clutch in or put it in neutral!

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
That is true in any motor.. Decel hurts the motor more than anything. I never do that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
AllmotorD All i know the worst thing to do to a new motor is to decelerate it.. if you need to stop or slow down put the clutch in or put it in neutral!

SOHCinWA That is true in any motor.. Decel hurts the motor more than anything. I never do that.

Did you guys even bother to read this article?!

Direct quote from Motoman's website:

Motoman said:
The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration.

How Do Rings Seal Against Tremendous Combustion Pressure ??

From the actual gas pressure itself !! It passes over the top of the ring, and gets behind it to force it outward against the cylinder wall. The problem is that new rings are far from perfect and they must be worn in quite a bit in order to completely seal all the way around the bore. If the gas pressure is strong enough during the engine's first miles of operation (open that throttle !!!), then the entire ring will wear into
the cylinder surface, to seal the combustion pressure as well as possible.

READ before posting guys... You might be suprised to find that what you thought was true.. well.. ISNT.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
My car is ALWAYS in gear, how else can you exit a turn properly? And how would decel hurt the engine?

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
This is what wiseco recommends with their pistons. I emailed them to ask how I need to break in mine.
Dear Sir, run mineral base oil on break in for the first 500 mile. Make sure you change the oil after 500 miles. Low rpm's is recommended with cool down heat cycle till engine is cool. Some just run it to it's full potential. However, go easy on it for the 1st 500 and you will be fine. Thank you and Good Luck

·
Registered
639 Posts
Did you guys even bother to read this article?!

Direct quote from Motoman's website:

READ before posting guys... You might be suprised to find that what you thought was true.. well.. ISNT.
No matter how stupid you try to make us look, You will get different opinion everywhere. How much creditbility does this guy have. About the same as me. I get my info from a guy who has been building race engines for 30 years. So believe me or believe Motomans... I don't really care!

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Im sorry i must be an idiot also. My dad has only owned an engine shop that use to build engines for Roger Penske back in the 60's, He also raced top fuel dragster and broke many records. I was fortunate enough to be able to hang around and pick up things. Been builing D motors for almost 20 years now. Doesnt matter to me what you think. I know what has worked for me in the past 2 decades.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts