Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as i get closer to the dat my build will be complete Im searching on how to properly break in a motor with zero miles! pretty much everything is brand new in the motor (all new gaskets cam pistons bearings crank micro polished and balanced honed cyl walls ect...) Ive found a little info but nothing that covers how to do it if your turboed? Can someone help me out...

the guy that built the motor said he does them for people with NA cars but doesnt know if anything should be done differently b/c its turbo?

·
Banned
424 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I cannot beleive people read motoman article and say WOW I will break-in my engine that way:TD:

A new/rebuild engine need a ''smooth'' break-in of at least 500-1000 miles...EXCEPT if you hone/prep the cylinder wall for race application.
*race application(less than 1000-5000 mile between rebuild)=not a daily driver*

Ask every GOOD and REPUTABLE engine builder and NO ONE will tell you to beat the hell out of your engine right out of the box!

Break-in your engine N/A and install your turbo after the break-in...

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
breaking in the motor NA would almost be not worth doing it because it will take so much crap to do it....

but i dunno

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
I cannot beleive people read motoman article and say WOW I will break-in my engine that way:TD:

A new/rebuild engine need a ''smooth'' break-in of at least 500-1000 miles...EXCEPT if you hone/prep the cylinder wall for race application.
*race application(less than 1000-5000 mile between rebuild)=not a daily driver*

Ask every GOOD and REPUTABLE engine builder and NO ONE will tell you to beat the hell out of your engine right out of the box!

Break-in your engine N/A and install your turbo after the break-in...
IMO this is the way to do it. Go ahead and do some 3/4 throttle runs but BE CAREFUL doing it.

At least put 300-500 miles on it driving it nicely with the occasional 3/4 throttle runs in the early miles. Do yourself a favor by not beating the holy shit out if it. Im not saying that going out and immediately busting on your brand new motor is bad for it, but i dont see it being great for it, at least not as good as a smooth break in period would be.

do some more research on it. This is definately something you want to have alot of knowledge about so you do it right the first time, because there really isnt a second time, unless you rebuild your rebuilt motor.

good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts