Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting close to having my D16Y8 rebuild done and i am wondering about break in times. I know i should give it about 1000 mile till i do anything crazy with. With the oil i hear that i should run it for 50-75 miles and then change it. Any advice?

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Start the car, let it run for 15-20 min to reach operating temp, turn it off change the oil and filter. I took mine to the dyno afterwards, they let it run for a bit on the dyno, then brought it up in rpms to around 4-5,000 and then let the motor pull the rpms down while in gear. After that, change the oil, and then have fun :D.

·
Registered
the same
347 Posts
are you planning on turboing the car?
If so then the dyno is the best place to do that as your gonna need a good tune for maximum power and engine life.
I cant stress the importance of a good tune and Im sure others on this site will more than agree with me. If your not planning a turbo, then you might want to check out this link
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Read it twice, maybe even three times. It gives alot of great info on engine break in techniques to consider. The author is actually refering to motorcycles but the principals apply to all combustion engines. Im am in no way telling your that this is the only way, simply trying to offer you the advice. Lets get some pics of it when your finished too!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Start the car, let it run for 15-20 min to reach operating temp, turn it off change the oil and filter. I took mine to the dyno afterwards, they let it run for a bit on the dyno, then brought it up in rpms to around 4-5,000 and then let the motor pull the rpms down while in gear. After that, change the oil, and then have fun :D.
is that enough break in time for the rings to seat properly? i was going to put 4-500 miles on my engine when im done with it before i start ripping on it lol

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
Let it idle up to operating temp. Go round the block a few times. Change the oil/filter. Take it on some back roads and beat the piss out of it. Change oil after about 500 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts