Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does everyone use for break-in oil? I have to break my motor in a few days and I am not sure what oil I am going to use.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If its has a new Cam, use a good quality non synthetic 10-30w oil and add ZDDP additive. As soon as it starts run the engine between 2000 and 2500 RPM for 30 minutes, then change oil using same as before without the ZDDP additive for the break in of about 500 to 1000 miles.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
use something good... dont use cheap oil, i dont care what anyone says, treat the motor well from the start.

a 10w30 non-synthetic should do the trick... pennzoil, castrol, etc

·
Registered
92 eg
723 Posts
i used non-detergent AUTO-zone. 30w because the non detergent oil doesn't have cleaning additives and its really cheap. I wouldnt use royal purple because it supposedly lacks zinc , so unless ur rich or have roller rockers id just go with something cheap personally. NAPA offers a "high zinc" racing oil just for $5 a quart or ROTELLA full synthetic for $15 for 5 quarts at wal-mart

·
Registered
829 Posts
i used non-detergent AUTO-zone. 30w because the non detergent oil doesn't have cleaning additives and its really cheap. I wouldnt use royal purple because it supposedly lacks zinc , so unless ur rich or have roller rockers id just go with something cheap personally. NAPA offers a "high zinc" racing oil just for $5 a quart or ROTELLA full synthetic for $15 for 5 quarts at wal-mart
dont run ROTELLA full synthetic in a fresh motor you can when you pass the 2000 mile mark

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
diesle oil
this is what i would use, but sadly they stopped putting zinc in most of the new oils so thats not good anymore either. I would suggest a good cheap non detergent for the first 10 miles or so, then swap over to regular dino oil 10w30 or whatever.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
would you mind elaborating on this? :bigok:

machine shop told me to lol, (they had a huge drum of it ) and also since then, ive seen and heard tons of people using diesle oil as a "break in" oil and had great results... so thats what i use

1 - 14 of 14 Posts