Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 Del Sol Si that is finally being relieved of daily duty, and going into the garage, for some much needed attention. I'm doing my brakes and suspension all in one shot; so that I can get some parts powder coated. I'm building the car to be a weekend toy that's still streetable.
I'm looking into getting EBC pads/rotors; either green or red. I will also be upgrading to steel braided lines and possibly upgrading calipers. This car is very worn out from previous owners and looking for suggestions on what brakes, and what components to change out. Open to all suggestions, critics ot banter. Lol

A build thread will be started in May; getting all the parts together for now, and hopefully finding a cleaner shell.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the purpose of the car, you say it was pulled from its daily duty, are you going to race?
Mostly just a spirited weekend car; with the occasional drag strip pass. I'm within minutes of a strip and would only be able to do autocross type events very rarely; due to my work schedule. The breaks need replacement already and a turbo build is in the works. Just have to make it safer/more reliable to do so first.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Any dc integra front brakes swap does wonders

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I threw a set of powerstop Z16 pads (you can find them on rockauto for cheap) on my EX coupe and that thing stops with authority now

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Did Hawk HPS pads and Stoptech rotors on my 94 DX a few weeks ago, haven't gotten too crazy (yet) but made a few hard stops and they work quite well, certainly have nothing bad to say about them, zero fade and minimal dust so far

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Perhaps the hawk pad and yada yada rotors works good, but if u can find a local junkyard with nice integra in it then there's your chance. I got lucky to get all fronts for 60 bucks. Pretty straightforward install as well

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
Go big or go home. lol

This is a picture of my oem big brake kit.

Brembo blanks, Hawk HPS, Earls steel braided lines, 205/50R15 Nitto Neo Gens at all 4 corners. Car stops on a freakin dime.

You want to be able to stop fast, here's you answer.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Centric E-coated rotors, Stoptech pads, non-Chinese brake lines, decent fluid and possibly rebuilt calipers. Going up to 10.3" brakes is good, I think 11" brakes are overkill unless a LOT of track work in a heavy car is done.

I detest EBC brake products. There are much better products on the market for less money, less dust, less noise and better feel, fit and function.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
I like my Hawk HP+ on stock DX calipers also run the centric blanks with the e-coating and some DOT 4 fluid. They are TERRIFIC once warmed up. 3 hard sessions at the track this past weekend and zero brake fade. Stops hard every single time.

For a daily I wouldn't really recommend the HP+ though since they are really loud when cold and since you mostly want to do drag racing maybe some Hawk HPS might fit the bill.

But in all honestly, properly functioning stock brakes should do you fine. I mean complete brake fluid flush, fresh pads and rotors. Lube all moving parts. A freshen up does wonders for these old cars.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
10.3" brakes are ls, gsr dc chassis and itr has the 11" but wouldn't fit the 13" lenso, v2 or exos rims which is why 10.3 gsr are best all around. Gotta agree on the two previous post above as well

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Go big or go home. lol

This is a picture of my oem big brake kit.

Brembo blanks, Hawk HPS, Earls steel braided lines, 205/50R15 Nitto Neo Gens at all 4 corners. Car stops on a freakin dime.

(deleted pic of super clean hatch so as to make my car look better lol)

You want to be able to stop fast, here's you answer.
Mine almost looks as good...and will almost stop as good once I get my rear discs lol

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Mine almost looks as good...and will almost stop as good once I get my rear discs lol

Which brakes do you have? The rims lools nice

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Heat dissipation is the critical difference between the 2 as far as my research has revealed. Discs have better cooling properties, drums have less rotating mass, one just has to decide which is more important to them

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
11" slotted rotors, Centric posi-quiet ceramic pads under a 15" wheel. Around $140. The only thing I would have done differently would be going with Centric rotors with e coat instead of the unknown manufacturer that 88rotors uses.

Centric is also the manufacturer for brand names such as Powerslot and Stoptech.

I did forget to mention that this is using itr/accord/tl calipers and the matching caliper brackets and this requires some modification if not used with the itr spindle.

Calipers were $40 shipped or less on ebay from a wrecked TL. I had the 96r 114.3 hubs so I didnt have to get the rotors redrilled.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Which brakes do you have? The rims lools nice
Did Hawk HPS pads and Stoptech rotors on my 94 DX a few weeks ago, haven't gotten too crazy (yet) but made a few hard stops and they work quite well, certainly have nothing bad to say about them, zero fade and minimal dust so far
Thanks, just got the rims a few weeks ago, been wanting them for like 3 years, decided "fuck it" one day and charged up the credit card lol, life is too short...

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Rear discs are for posers. I hate the rear discs on civics and Integras and, well, anything Honda made with that terrible caliper design with the parking mechanism integrated into the body of the caliper. There are only two correct ways to do rear parking brakes:

1. Disc over drum, a la the Legend

Or

2. Dedicated parking calipers, which even Porsche got right as far back as the late 50s and 60s.

Lametards lament about drums being hard to work on, but if you do it right, you likely won't have to worry about them for YEARS. The overall time of service in the lifetime of the car is much, much less.

And, they are much lighter, at least in Civtegras. That's better. Just plain better.

Anyway, those Centric e-coated rotors are the best rotors I've used. Ever. Amazon has them dirty cheap, too.

Brake pads are more about feel as just about anything these days is way better than everything on the market when I started driving /fixing my CRX.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Current plans for mine since the stock CX brake setup is being retired.

- LS integra front and rear brake swap
- auto zone blanks with lifetime warranty( I'm tracking the car, these won't last, hence the warrenty)
- front HP+ pads or hawk dtc60....not sure if I should go the later as I do a lot of street driving also
- rear pads just stock
- braided brake lines
- dot 4 complete fluid flush
- still debating on prop valve and master I have been told both ways to change them out or leave it alone
- energy suspention master bushing kit, rear trailing arm and sway bar bushings

If you haven't already plan on replacing bushings....its a royal pain in the ass but very rewarding driving after. And its easiest to do when the knuckles, trailing arms, etc are all on the floor

1 - 20 of 23 Posts