Problem-

Steering wheel/Dash/Front end shakes at speeds 35-55mph

Parts Replaced-
New Front Calipers/Rotors/Pads
New 15/16th Master
New Upper control arms/bushings
New OEM Steering Rack/Tie Rods/Bushings
Have new tires/ Straight wheels

Now i installed new drums/pads in the rear, but they make a weird noise at 10mph or less

after messing with different wheels/tires and front brakes, today was going 50mph and pulled up the e brake to hardly slow the car, then lightly hit the brakes, Bam its smooth

So is this a problem with the rear brakes causing the whole front end to shake?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Check the axles? Mine were going out and I would get a front end wobble after tires, brakes, bushings, alignment, still did it. Replace the axles and smoothed it out. I would assume if it was the back brakes the steering wheel would not shake. I would think the whole car would before just the front end did.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot i have new napa axles too. After testing today with the e brake, it has to be something back there. maybe its time for a disc swap!

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
How are your wheel bearings?

Did the noise start RIGHT after you did the front stuff, or was it not until after you did the rear stuff at a later date? If it's the former, the culprit is probably one of the new parts or installer error.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
I know my rear drums will last forever and not warp as easy as disc brakes but honestly I hate drum brakes for so many reasons. I also hate Honda rear disc setups (Toyota has it right disc over drum) with the ebrake in the caliper.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update! so i put lock pliers on the rear right drum line and almost the whole problem went away. So something from the rear is pulsing to the front

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I guess if the rears are snatching and grabbing randomly and intermittantly, it'd induce a yaw that would work its way to the front

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shoes on backwards???

Leading when it should be trailing, and trailing when it should be leading?
this could be it! i honestly never done drums/shoes before until this car lol

I did both front/rear brakes at the same time, so i always thought something was wrong in the front

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Pop the drum off and take a look at the shoes again

Larger shoe is the secondary shoe. Smaller shoe is the primary.

if the ebrake cable bracket attaches that is usually the secondary shoe.

To adjust, pop the drum back on, lock it down with two lug nuts... expand the shoes by applying the ebrake, let it out, then rotate the drum. It should have very light contact noise, just enough to slow down the drum from rotating. When installing new shoes, always adjust a little tighter as the fibers wear right down.

You did install new drums, too, right? A lot of drums come bent out of the box. It happens a LOT. "scht scht scht scht" noise and vibrations throughout the body.

Good luck keep us posted.

PS, I thought at first your issue might be dirt/rust/crud built up on your hub faces on the front disc brakes. Happens a lot. But if disabling one of the rears fixed it, then well its hard to argue with that! hehe.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well i went to the junk yard and got a full integra disc swap in the rain, got it all installed then the stupid wheel bearing was shot, so had to fix that. but now its all working good! beside e brake cables

edit.. i didn't want to tinker with the drums anymore lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts