Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me start by saying....i searched and found some similar stuff....but not similar enough. so the car has been sitting which of course means....bleed the brakes. i had a leaking caliper...replaced it....all the front pads...bled the brakes going RR...LR...RF....LF the LF which is the one with the new caliper would not stop with teeny tiny bubbles....every time ive ever bled them its been big bubbles. the e-brake still works and when the car originally went down the brakes worked just fine except for the slow leak in the fl. if someone could explain bench bleeding and gravity bleeding since im new to the brake scene it would be nice. any suggestions are good.

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well ive figured out what bench bleeding is. and at my current location i dont have a vise so not gonna happen. I still have no idea exactly how gravity bleeding works...do you just let it sit with the bleed nut open? could the tiny bubbles in the left front be my problem?

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
when gravity bleeding open 1 caliper at a time wait till it drips out then close and move on to the next
same thing with a master cylinder well just let it bleed out the line holes and plug em up put it in the car adn connect the lines
also make sure "im assumming you have drums brakes in the rear" that you adjust the rears they should have a slight drag when rotating the rear tires

bleedign brakes is way easy just take your time and make sure you tighten the bleeders when your done and double check em

theres a buch of ways to bleed the brakes as in sequence but ive bleed brakes the way the manual says and "the other way" which is r/r l/r r/f l/f and i dont notice a diffrence!

you dont really need a bleeder pump thing "brain fart" you only need one person
after you got all you calipers bleed out then pump the brakes till you got a pedal. "dont push your pedal to the floor cause you rip the o-rings in the master cylinder" half way down is good then go to the caliper open it up and close repeat the process a couple times on that caliper and after your done you should have a pretty solid pedal!.....if you did the process right and all the adjustments......g/l anymore questions feel free to ask the D-fam!

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that if somebody had the same problem and came along reading they would only get a half way answer soooo

UPDATE: I tried gravity bleeding the front brakes. that went smoothly but didnt fix the problem. After much discussion me and a few members have deducted that its probably the mc....or a hole in the line. since it doesnt leak brake fluid anymore i dont think its a hole. since cash is tight and i dont feel like buying tools n junk...im gonna have a shop bleed the brakes and hopefully they can get all the air out. nothing like driving around north carolinas capital in 5 o clock traffic....with only a shitty e brake and gears to slow you down.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Same thing happened to me a while back, turns out master cylinder crapped out on me.

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same thing happened to me a while back, turns out master cylinder crapped out on me.
I dont know how it happened while the car was sitting....but the shop called and said they pump bled the brakes and it equaled a big ass fail so its gotta be the master cylinder.....luckily ive got a wealthy uncle helping my poor ass lol. should get it back today....lets hope when they replace the master it wont suddenly develop a new problem. damn money pit

·
Registered
367 Posts
get a vacuum bleeder, start passenger rear, then drive rear, then passeger front, then drivers front. Or even the one man bleeders at autozone, they work great. pump until your POSITIVE theres no air.

Mastercylinder is my next guess. Check for vacuum leaks in the line that runs from the brake booster to the IM.

·
Registered
1994 Civic Hatch cx
405 Posts
is the pedal squishy??

does it slowly drop to the floor?

did you check your brake lines?

the more info and detail you give the more we can help out.

·
Registered
1994 Civic Hatch cx
405 Posts
call toyota, you need a recall lol
lol real quick.

Why did Nascar allow bump drafting????

:dots:

Cuz toyota needs a way to slow down!!! ah hahahaha lol.... right?

:yawn:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You should always have someone that knows what they're doing help you when your working on something, as important as brakes, for the first time. Sometimes knowing how to do something in theroy is a lot different than doing it. I wrecked my first car by messing up bleeding the brakes when I was 16. Lesson learned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts