Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my brake swap is over and done with (rear disc's, GSR fronts, Type R master, and SS lines) I am looking for new friction materials. I have decided 100 % to use Brembo blank rotors at all four corners but I can't decide on pads. I will be using the car for AutoX and possibly some Solo 1 events as well and yes it is my summer vehicle so it will be on the street aswell. Noise is not an issue for street use cause I know they will not be up to temp. I would like to have something that does not generate lots of dust but works well. Some ideas that have already been thrown my way include, Carbotech, KVR, EBC, Hawk, and Ferodo. I would like to hear from experience and not the advertisements.

·
Registered
255 Posts
my honest opinion..

ebc is very squeeky and dusty

hawk is very good braking and extremely dusty

im using project mu at the moment. not too bad but still a bit dusty

endless pads are my next step.. so hopefully they arent gonna b that dusty

so majority of the pads are quite "dusty" but its up to your budget and what temp range you are going

if u go endless i recommend the sss compound

if u go project mu i recommend the NR compound

Hawk.. im not sure what compouund it was but damn did they stop good :D but yeah very dusty

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
just say no the EBC greens or reds, they won't last a full day at a HPDE.....

Carbotech, Hawk...etc.....

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
Hawk also make rear shoes for our drums :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aren't ceramic pads supposed to be virtually no dust as opposed to metallic? I'm needing to do a swap soon too.

·
Registered
HONDA
368 Posts
maybe try some AXIS pads , thats what i got with my brembo fronts my braking went from a 5 to 10 overnight , Hawk are also nice pads or i use rebestos on my girls celica , all are nice pads , EBC i dont really know to much about , but i heard they sqeak pretty bad . theres my .02$

·
Registered
999 Posts
like transzex carbotech, cobalts,, hawk blues :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have ebc green stuff; never had one lick of problems. they've been through multiple heat cycles showing no, to very minimal fade. i can remeber one time that they have even started to fade, and it wasnt anything drastic, at all. for the money, i dont mind.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
hawk HPS, HP+ are a great pad for track use but on the street in a panic brace situation they dont work as well since they need to be up to temp to fully grab.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I use hawk HPS. They are great street pads... I even got some for my jeep after trying them out on the civic.
I used to have EBC greenstuff and they had a lot more dust and didn't last long.
As for rotors, the cheap napa ones are fine... After all, rotors are just heat sinks... and I'd rather get new ones everytime I change the pads instead of buying expensive ones and having them resurfaced...

·
Registered
229 Posts
carbotech panther+ for me. bobcat's are great too, just not intended for track use. i haven't tried cobalt or hawk, but i've seen them both dust a lot more then my carbotechs. Axxis Ultimates dust more then the carbotechs too. EBC's..... you'd have to pay me a lot to run those POS again. i was getting uneven pad deposit's on the rotors so quickly i was having to replace the rotors every month. i'm easy on brakes too. the oem pads on my DD are the same from when i was autocrossing it. they've got 40k miles on them and two full seasons of autocross and they have over 50% of the pad material left.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
180mm or 200mm, likely 180mm :)

WTF, they are not lisred anymore......shit.....

·
Registered
999 Posts
doesnt porterfield make some brake shoes?

Reactions: transzex

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ah, thanks! I think I'll give these a try this year! They are available in Porterfield R4 or R4S, not the Hawk line :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts