Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 91 civic si with a rear disk conversion and am wanting to know what stainless lines do i order for ther rear,also will i notice anymore of a difference?

·
Administrator
Honda
6,992 Posts
Get the brake lines that would have come on your conversion. And no, SS lines make little difference. If anything they are less durable over time (cheap lines that is).

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
SS lines improve brake feel more so than performance. Gives the pedal a more linear feel.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
dunno about the lines, but 4 disc brakes own on civics. I can stop instantly. and thats not even with drilled/slotted !

·
Administrator
Honda
6,992 Posts
dunno about the lines, but 4 disc brakes own on civics. I can stop instantly. and thats not even with drilled/slotted !
Yup so can I... With Rubber lines

(had SS before, had major rubbing issues)

Edit: Drilled and slotted do little on a civic anyway :p

SS lines improve brake feel more so than performance. Gives the pedal a more linear feel.
My experience says otherwise. If anything the feel was basically the same but less maintenance headaches the SS came with.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Even top of the line SS lines are only good for 5-6 years.

Disc rears are overrated

but 4 disc brakes own on civics. I can stop instantly
maybe from .5 mph, but not much faster.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Even top of the line SS lines are only good for 5-6 years.

Disc rears are overrated

maybe from .5 mph, but not much faster.
I cry everytime I see the brakes on a "real" sports car.

Ever seen the size of the brakes on a Vette, RX-8, or similar?

Huge.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
you can say that their aint no diff..lol...But i feel the diff. stops alot faster. my sedan with drums was shit.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
i like the way stainless lines make the pedal feel, and most have a life time warranty.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
chris, i'd agree with you, but I think it's not a placebo this time...his rear drums were probably worn out real good, so fixing those would have felt the same ;)

Not entirely a placebo
prolly so. but I like the disc better either way. this is the same kinda arguement as saying which is better vtec or non vtec...if you have it, its better, if you dont have it, then it aint better.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
:oops: I was talking about SS Lines... Not Drums vs Disk...
So you thought i was talking about SS lines? I wasnt. I have stock rear disc. I was saying they stop better than drums, not SS lines stop better. I don thave SS. i have stock.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Let do a simple brake swap to the fronts, then you'll see the light as too what REAL brakes can do.

Rear discs are not easier to service, they are still a PITA!!!!! Always hanging up the pistons. Drums win overall due to the lack of maintaince required. Clean the adjusters every two years is about it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Get the brake lines that would have come on your conversion. And no, SS lines make little difference. If anything they are less durable over time (cheap lines that is).
I'm going to completely disagree with you here. SS brake lines(good quality ones) are the easiest way to get a better pedal feel. Instead of the crappy rubber lines expanding when the brakes are applied, SS lines don't expand and get rid of the squishy pedal feel.

I've run into a case while working on a friends mustang(13" Cobra brake swap, same as what I have on my car), where we upgraded the booster and MC, and the additional flow and pressure from the bigger MC actually caused the rear rubber brake hose to expand so much, that we could not get the brakes bled. Swapped to a stoptech braided stainless line in the rear, and the brakes bled perfectly.

I also agree that rear discs are somewhat of a "looks" mod, than an actual worthwhile mod. The front brakes typically do 80% of the braking anyway, so I would focus on the fronts LONG before worrying about the rears, whether it be discs or drums.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts