Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 96 ex ek sedan that I plan to swap the rear discs onto later tomorrow. My question is this. I am planning to replace my front and rear brake lines completely with stainless steel lines. I know I dont have to worry about getting a different setup for the front brakes, but for the rears, would I need to purchase the brake line kit for the year and make of the car that they came off of? Or would I just get a replacement line kit for the standard 96 ex drum brakes...My guess is those wouldnt work since they would be for drum brakes.

Any help is much appreciated. I searched and couldn't seem to find anything regarding the actual brake lines.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
If you are doing SS lines you are going to have to bend them yourself.

I would get a brake line kit for a rear disc car if you plan to run rear disc. You might need to swap prop valves. I know some times the routing of lines is different on ABS/non abs and rear disc/non rear disc cars. At the end of the day, the routing is something you can correct with some minor "massaging" of the lines.

Rear drum prop valves delay the pressure to the front brakes to make up for the spring tension in your rear drum. You dont want to run that prop valve if you swap out the rear drums to rear disc, unless you want your rear brakes activating before your front brakes.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
373 Posts
Why SS? Cunifers are easier to bend and should last well enough.

As for prop valves, I'm with Farmer D. Brake balance control can be tricky if the set-up is non-standard, but you do need to make sure that the fronts do more of the work.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,297 Posts
SS lines as in flexible lines, talk about spongy pedal from hell!

SS flex lines are only needed on race cars that might see gravel from going off course or if a rally car. The should be replaced way more often than OEM style rubber lines.

Rubber lines, 15-20 years
SS lines, 3-5 years

1 - 4 of 4 Posts