Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an em1 and my brake lines from the distribution block to the rear of the car have started leaking. One of the lines is rusted apart near the middle section of the car.

Has anyone replaced these before? I can get both lines $66 each from the dealership.

Does anyone know if I have to drop the fuel tank? How big of a pain is that? Any input is appreciated!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
crawl under and look. I want to say no

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
no need to drop tank.

lines go around it.

do not use compression fittings if you decide to patch.

I suggest copper lines, rent a flare tool, figure out the fittings, and run an entire new line on each side.

50 ft of copper 3/16 line is cheaper than one of your prefit lines and will last longer (no rust chance)

·
Registered
Integra DB9
445 Posts
I wouldn't use ordinary copper; Cunifer would be my preference - and still cheaper than $66 each.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
its not straight copper. I think it has some silver in it.

its about $40 for a 50ft roll and Ive seen it 9-10 years after install and only turns slightly green

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
NiCopp is what you want to use, its a nickle-copper alloy. Very easy to bend and flare it. If your brake lines are rusted and leak its a safe bet your fuel lines are in rough shape too. You'll want to replace those as well but use Nylon fuel line for those.

You'll need probably 30-35 feet of the 3/16 NiCopp and 20-25 feet 5/16 Nylon fuel line. For the fuel lines you can use nylon to steel compression fittings to attach to the stock feed and return lines under the hood, you'll need steel quick connector fittings for at the tank. The EVAP line is best left alone and just under coated real good.

When I do them at work I cut out all the lines from the front sub-frame back, you'll need to lower the front sub-frame some to get the lines out. I remove the stock plastic framing and once I'm done I put the fuel and brake lines into a split corrugated hose then attach the hose to the 10mm studs left behind from the plastic cage with conduit clamps.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be going in the nicopp route and possibly replacing the fuel lines as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts