Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my manual says that I'm supposed to use Honda Dot 3 brake fluid but I went to Autozone yesterday and asked them if they had any Honda brake fluid because I bought Honda power steering fluid from them and the clerk said that it doesn't matter what I use, either Dot 3 or Dot 4 and Honda doesn't make brake fluid. So I bought some Prestone Dot 3/4 brake fluid, would it be ok to use it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not all brake fluids are the same, Dot 3, 4, and 5.1 are compatible but dot 5 isn't, it's silicone based instead of glycol. While dot 5 won't absorb moisture it also is slightly compressable, which you don't want in your brakes. Also not absorbing moisture it'll leave spots of water in your system that will cause corrision and you'll have to flush the entire system to get that pocket of water out. Some manufacturers use a mineral hydraulic fluid as well.

·
It's that time again
MAIN ONE IZ A CIVCSI
5,369 Posts
So my manual says that I'm supposed to use Honda Dot 3 brake fluid but I went to Autozone yesterday and asked them if they had any Honda brake fluid because I bought Honda power steering fluid from them and the clerk said that it doesn't matter what I use, either Dot 3 or Dot 4 and Honda doesn't make brake fluid. So I bought some Prestone Dot 3/4 brake fluid, would it be ok to use it?
you'll be good!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
might as well use dot 4... i think the stat is when dot 3 has 2% water content its boiling point is only 150deg C....

dot 4 is much better at resisting boiling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts