Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is a vague question but I just finished my car and I broke the engine in without the wg spring in and after 1000 miles I put a 4psi spring in the wastegate and tried boosting to make sure it all worked before getting it tuned.

long story short I have a d16y8 I DO NOT HAVE AN IACV, I currently have the lines for the BOV, WG, and boost/vacuum guage tapped into the back of the manifold on the driver side, im reading 10inhg at idle but it idles at 1k-1.5k and bogs, i figured that was because of the iacv missing.

I tried tapping the bov into all the other lines I possibly could on the intake manifold and still have nothing, the bov wont release or open at all. I do not have the top port/nipple on my charcoal canister connected because thats where i t'd into and thought that could be the problem for it not going off by pulling too much vacuum away from it...

any ideas or anyone else who came across this same problem?

I have the adjustment screw all the way out too so its just making contact with the spring on the bov and still nothing...

i have also checked for vacuum leaks and the intake manifold gasket leaking and tb leaking and i did a boost leak test and came up with nothing....

ANY INPUT WOULD HELP!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
10"Hg is WAY low. Unless your gauge isnt taking into account earths atmospheric pressure, which is 14.7 then youd add that for 24.7... but I dont think thats your issue. On my fresh rebuild at initial start up i had 20"Hg, after 300 mi 24"Hg.

You BOV is not functioning because of your lack of vacuum. You need to fix that first. Also do you have a 2 port or 1 port BOV? and how are the lines routed? also, dont T into your Evap system.,..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was running an apexi twin chamber then tried my greddy rs which is on there right now and only has one port on the top, its ran straight to the back of the manifold, with nothing else running into that port but my boost guage and the wastegate, maybe thats the problem? too many t's?

·
Registered
840 Posts
i think some pictures would help for sure. i'm in to see..

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Lack of vacuum as CaliLegal said. Once you address this issue and your vacuum reads fine then check the BOV again. If its still not working then try a lighter spring in the BOV.
I think he mentioned he has a Greddy RS BV on there now.

Which you can adjust with a screw or such.

You can loosen the tension on the spring via the screw/nut/bolt/whatever

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got the vacuum problems fixed itts readingg 24inhg and ive checked it at where the vacuum lines are t'd and im reading 24inhg there also, i have no idea what to check anymore, i put a stronger spring in the wastegate and and it still didnt go off the adjustment screw is just in contact with the spring in the bov...

Ive checked all connections for leaks after changing it also..

The wastegate is connected to the compressor housing and the bov is t'd to the brake booster before the check valve too... any more ideas? ill check the lines for leaks right now too

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can guarantee you problem is most likely either one OR both of these problems:

1. BOV too far away from the throttle body, causing a long delay because of vacuum hose length

2. Size of vacuum line, try a larger ID

I think someone suggested this one already but also, a Kink or blockage in your vacuum line to the BOV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the biggest i.d hose i can have without a vacuum leak at the nipple, the line is 5/32 inside diameter and the line is probly 2.5' long and the wastegate is located right before the stock airbox system.

i looked for kinks and blockages in the line and couldnt find any...

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Open the bov and take out a spring.
If there is only one spring in there then adjust it to soft.

Put it all back together. Rev the motor and look inside the bov. It should crack open some when you close the throttle.

Also a bigger wastegate spring isnt going to change the bov.
the bov will have nothing to do with the wastgate.

·
Registered
414 Posts
looks good, problem has to be bov spring, doesnt look adjusted out all the way yet. Do what xile6 says, youll have this resolved in no time

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I think he mentioned he has a Greddy RS BV on there now.

Which you can adjust with a screw or such.

You can loosen the tension on the spring via the screw/nut/bolt/whatever
That's true, which means its even easier to fix!

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Isn't the bov supposed to see positive pressure not vacuum?if so it needs to be attached to either the turbo compressor or charge pipe
Your mixed up.
Bov need vaccum to drop the spring pressure and open up. Releasing compressor air.
Wastegate needs boost pressure to push the diaphram up and open to release exhaust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i got the bov to open up late last night, im only running 4 psi right now,
Does it look like i have everything hooked up correctly though?

the bov says open at idle and closes as soon as the throttle opens and then opens back up when the throttle gets released, does that sound rightt? i thought it was really weird and the bov goes off then has a high pitch whistle but its hard to dial in with only 4 psi...

im getting it tuned thursday and im going to get it tuned at 12psi

·
Registered
414 Posts
sounds like you got it fixed, should only be cracked open at idle, not too much. just barely, but if its shutting when you rev it, most likely its good to go

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
i got the bov to open up late last night, im only running 4 psi right now,
Does it look like i have everything hooked up correctly though?

the bov says open at idle and closes as soon as the throttle opens and then opens back up when the throttle gets released, does that sound rightt? i thought it was really weird and the bov goes off then has a high pitch whistle but its hard to dial in with only 4 psi...

im getting it tuned thursday and im going to get it tuned at 12psi
Every bov is a little different, but mines is close at idle and give it a little gas and let off it will crack open.
Blows off fine under boost.

So all your saying is right.
And post a video of the sound but it should have a pssshhh sound. If not it could be compressor surge. Dont try it while reving because your not going to hear much since there is no boost being build, you gotta build a few psi to really hear the bov.

Also 4psi and 12psi on the bov isnt going to matter.
The spring holds it shut in vac.
But under boost your have boost pressure keeping the bov close.
Once you left off the gas the high vac will suck on the diaphragm and open the bov releasing all the air in the piping.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts