Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen people mount the BOV on the turbo side near the FMIC. Are there any gains/losses into doing so?

I'm really just trying to hide my turbo kit...it's a home made setup so I can have a heatshield and stock intake box modded :). I just need help hiding the BOV.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Is there not enough room in the stock intake box near the end? Are you going to re-circulate the BOV for less noise?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there not enough room in the stock intake box near the end? Are you going to re-circulate the BOV for less noise?
No, I'm not going to re-circulate it. I'm just trying to find some place to hide it. I don't have a stock intake box yet, but I'm sure I'll find a place in it I guess. I didn't think about it. Thanks!

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
You want it to be as close to the throttle body as possible to prevent the pressure surge from a closing throttle plate from gaining enough momentum to do damage to the compressor. The farther away from the TB you put the BOV, the more capacity you would have to have on the BOV to vent quickly enough to prevent compressor surge. AND, the longer the vacuum line you ahve to run, the longer it takes to vent the pressure, which can also lead to the pressure surge smacking into the compressor before the BOV can fully vent.

Why do you want to hide it? It's not like a turbo setup is particularly easy to hide in most cases.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you want to hide it? It's not like a turbo setup is particularly easy to hide in most cases.
It's just a home made setup. It's a stock Manifold where I can put a heatshield on it, there was a four door EF on here that had a HMT kit hidden on it and it just looked uber clean. I'm just trying to make my car look clean, the home made turbo kit isn't helpin that look..

·
11,892 Posts
No, I'm not going to re-circulate it. I'm just trying to find some place to hide it. I don't have a stock intake box yet, but I'm sure I'll find a place in it I guess. I didn't think about it. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that within the last month there have been a couple stock airboxes in the FS forum.

·
11,892 Posts
It's just a home made setup. It's a stock Manifold where I can put a heatshield on it, there was a four door EF on here that had a HMT kit hidden on it and it just looked uber clean. I'm just trying to make my car look clean, the home made turbo kit isn't helpin that look..
Saw one on HMT with a "hidden" setup and it was very clean.

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
You want it to be as close to the throttle body as possible to prevent the pressure surge from a closing throttle plate from gaining enough momentum to do damage to the compressor. The farther away from the TB you put the BOV, the more capacity you would have to have on the BOV to vent quickly enough to prevent compressor surge. AND, the longer the vacuum line you ahve to run, the longer it takes to vent the pressure, which can also lead to the pressure surge smacking into the compressor before the BOV can fully vent.
I dont think thats all true. If that was the case and having it closer to the throttle body was so much better then i dont think that Full-Race would of made there turbo kits with the BOV mounted directly to the end tank on the hot side of the intercooler.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I dont think thats all true. If that was the case and having it closer to the throttle body was so much better then i dont think that Full-Race would of made there turbo kits with the BOV mounted directly to the end tank on the hot side of the intercooler.
your kidding right? just cause a company sells a kit with the bov in that location doesn't mean its the best location for it. there is no way that the bov in that location will be as effective as one that is closer to the IM (or primary vac source).

btw: imo, Full-Race = over priced junk

:thehump::thehump:

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
your kidding right? just cause a company sells a kit with the bov in that location doesn't mean its the best location for it. there is no way that the bov in that location will be as effective as one that is closer to the IM (or primary vac source).

btw: imo, Full-Race = over priced junk
I never said it was the "best" lcation i was just stating that it doesnt really make a differance where its placed... as long as you have one i dont think its gonna matter a whole lot where its at...

·
Registered
2011 VW Jetta Tdi
106 Posts
Most stock turbo cars have it right after the turbo and then the discharged air is routed back into the intake side of the turbo. WRX's have it mounted to the cooler but that probably is due to the space constraints from having a top mount cooler. From an analytical standpoint, I would say that the best place to have it would be as close to the intake mani as possible (6-10 inches). That way you have a short vac tube running to the bov and it relieves the pressure quicker (few tenths of a sec). From a functionality perspective, you can mount it anywhere after the turbo and it will function as prescribed. If youre trying to hide it, mount it out front with the fmic and paint it all flat black and make a heat shield for your turbo. That will somewhat conceal it if thats what youre looking for. As far as routing the discharge from the bov back into the intake, I vote against it since it would introduce turbulence into your intake.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
If you want the real truth, the .00000001 seconds longer it takes from the longer vacuum line wont make a shit bit of difference.

If you want to hide it, put it before the intercooler like i have mine. Some Mitsubishi turbochargers would not have been made with a Blow off valve or bypass valve on the turbo itself if it was the incorrect location and it caused damage. I trust turbocharger engineers over Internet theorists any day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts