Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just replaced my iacv for my civic ex 97. Took off throttle body also to clean it . When I put everything back i noticed gas pedal didn't work . Than when car warmed up I had a bouncing idle from 1000rpm - 2000rpm . . If anyone can help that would be great !!!!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Did you reconnect the throttle cable correctly? I assume you also now have a vacuum leak.

Why did you replace the IACV?

As House always tells the chick "Its not NOT Lup...The IACV..."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you reconnect the throttle cable correctly? I assume you also now have a vacuum leak.

Why did you replace the IACV?

As House always tells the chick "Its not NOT Lup...The IACV..."
I replaced the iacv because I had low idle and my car would
Sometimes stall. When I replaced it I noticed it was hella dirty .

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The throttle sits in a bracket bolted to the intake, and then attaches to your throttle plate, you missed one of those steps.

Honda IACVs almost NEVER go bad in my experience, but it seema like everytime someone has an idle issue they run out and buy a new one. It usually has nothing to do with the IACV, but when it does 99% of the time they just need to be blown out with some carb or brake cleaner, not replaced.

Its like buying a new laptop because your old one got clogged up with cat hair, just blow it out, dont throw your money away.

I should start getting people to send me their "bad" IACVs, and invest in $6 worth the carb cleaner and resell them as rebuilt IACVs and sell them for $50 a pop, I could make a fricking fortune.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
What he said ^^^
Follow the throttle cable from the throttle body. You should see where the cable is held by a bracket right where the adjustment screw is. It's a fork type bracket that holds he cable. You must have not reattached it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What he said ^^^
Follow the throttle cable from the throttle body. You should see where the cable is held by a bracket right where the adjustment screw is. It's a fork type bracket that holds he cable. You must have not reattached it.
Yeah I did reattached it back to the intake where it was mounted .

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
An accelerator pedal going to the floor means the cable isn't hooked up. Did you route the cable the correct way around the throttle pulley? Under,around,and attach...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys I just fixed the throttle cable my dumbass didn't put it on right lol . But my idle is still bouncy . And no I didn't replaced the throttle body gasket I'm going to do it now

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
when was the last time an idle issue was directly related to the IACV? Seriously just because it has Idle in it's title doesn't mean it should be the first thing to "clean". more important and usual culprits are vacuum leaks, improperly set base idle. timing. loose nylon screw in FITV. electrical load, bent valves, blown head gasket, etc...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
when was the last time an idle issue was directly related to the IACV? Seriously just because it has Idle in it's title doesn't mean it should be the first thing to "clean". more important and usual culprits are vacuum leaks, improperly set base idle. timing. loose nylon screw in FITV. electrical load, bent valves, blown head gasket, etc...
^^

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The throttle sits in a bracket bolted to the intake, and then attaches to your throttle plate, you missed one of those steps.

Honda IACVs almost NEVER go bad in my experience, but it seema like everytime someone has an idle issue they run out and buy a new one. It usually has nothing to do with the IACV, but when it does 99% of the time they just need to be blown out with some carb or brake cleaner, not replaced.

Its like buying a new laptop because your old one got clogged up with cat hair, just blow it out, dont throw your money away.

I should start getting people to send me their "bad" IACVs, and invest in $6 worth the carb cleaner and resell them as rebuilt IACVs and sell them for $50 a pop, I could make a fricking fortune.
What he said ^^^
When in doubt post a pic.

I am willing to bet you have a vac leak and you didnt tighten the cable all the way back down.
Thanks guys for the help . I fixed the bouncy idle. I did have a vacumn leak because I checked the cruise control vacumn line that goes to the intake manifold nipple and it was just hanging . So I connected it and now my car is idling way better than before . No more low idle and stalling when at a stop . The new iacv also helped idle become steady . Easy fix

1 - 16 of 16 Posts