Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, last night I bought an AEM Tru-Time adjustable cam gear for my b7/y7 build I'm doing. I was just tired of trying to figure out what stock cam gear to use. The AEM gear I bought IS FOR A Y7, and I know I need to use the y7 timing belt. My question is this:

When setting the gear on this for timing, what is a good starting point to set the gear at? Do I need to retard it or advance it? I know I'm going to have to play with it a bit, but if any of you have a clue as to where I can start that would be great.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
I would set it to 0 degrees of advance first, make sure everything is working well, then put it on a dyno and play with the settings and tune to make the most of it. All you are really going to be doing with a SOHC is moving the powerband around for the most part.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... Ok... I'm a bit confused now... Maybe it's because I've gotten like 8 hours of total sleep the last 4 nights. And I'm tired as hell, and my cylinders are not all firing in my head right now...

BUT WHAT'S THE REASON OF INSTALLING AN ADJUSTABLE CAM GEAR ON MINI-ME SWAPS?!?!

b7/z6, b7/y7, b7/y8, b7,a6.... I thought I knew the reason why we needed to install certain cam gears for certain setups. OR just use an adjustable cam gear...

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE CLEAR MY CONFUSION AS TO WHY WE HAVE TO USE CERTAIN CAM GEARS ON CERTAIN MINI-ME SWAPS?!?

And why using an adjustable cam gear will fix all these problems?!

My head hurts.......

·
Registered
765 Posts
So you have a B7 block and a Y7 head correct? Has the block been decked or has the head been milled? Are you or have you installed an aftermarket cam in this motor?
Need answers to those questions before anyone can help you out with your question.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you have a B7 block and a Y7 head correct? Has the block been decked or has the head been milled? Are you or have you installed an aftermarket cam in this motor?
Need answers to those questions before anyone can help you out with your question.
Block is not getting decked, and the head is being milled a tiny bit to make sure it's flat.

b7 block
y7 head
y7 cam
z6 intake manifold
z6 throttle body
z6 intake manifold gasket
y8 MLS head gasket
y7 timing belt

The head is getting new valve stem seals, cleaned, checked over for cracks of any kind and milled for true flatness as we speak. I'm not putting this head on for performance gains, my b7 head in my Del Sol is junk and I have this y7 head laying around.

I have everything I need to do the swap, but the last few weeks I've been trying to figure out what cam gear to go with. The y7 or the b7 but nobody seems to have the answer to that. So I went with an AEM TRU-TIME adjustable cam gear for the y7 head.

I will be running the stock P06 ECU until I can get another ECU to chip and get a street tune on.

I just want to know what and why for either the b7/y7/or AEM cam gear. I know there is like a 5mm height difference between the b7 and the y7. And I know the y7 has a 104 tooth timing belt, and the b7 has a 106 tooth timing belt. But I don't know which cam gear to use and why?!

That is why I went for the AEM because everybody says an adjustable cam gear is the best and right way to go. BUT I DON'T KNOW WHY!

·
Registered
765 Posts
The reason for the adjustable cam gear is beacause you will need to make fine adjustments to compensate for the difference in the height of the head.
As you install the head you may have issues with aligning the cam and crankshaft properly at TDC.

Without the cam gear you will have issues with either being too advanced or too retarded. The cam gear will also allow you to dial in the cam for the best power possible from the cam.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason for the adjustable cam gear is beacause you will need to make fine adjustments to compensate for the difference in the height of the head.
As you install the head you may have issues with aligning the cam and crankshaft properly at TDC.

Without the cam gear you will have issues with either being too advanced or too retarded. The cam gear will also allow you to dial in the cam for the best power possible from the cam.
How do I align the cam and crank to TDC then? Just get it as close as I can and then adjust the gear? How do I know if I have it right or wrong?

·
Registered
12 Posts
From my experience, whatever head you use, all the components have to match, such as y7 head, dizzy, cam, cam gear. if you use a y7 cam with a z6 gear, timing will be off. just make sure you are matching all the head components. As for adjustment, glenniz is correct. A cam gear is great when milling a head, for every .012 you shave off the head you need to advance the cam gear 1 degree to keep timing at tdc. This is due to the fact that closer you bring the head to the block due to milling/resurfacing, you retard the timing. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I now have a new question, the following AEM Tru-Time gear I bought says it's for 96-00 D16's only. But with the ability to swap cam gears from any head that we need to onto any other d series head. Is this cam gear really only good for the 96-00 d series engines? Or later after I pull my current engine out for the z6, will this cam gear also work properly on my z6?

I can't seem to get the URL to work from ebay. But it's a: AEM 23-804C Tru-Time Cam Gear

·
Registered
765 Posts
I now have a new question, the following AEM Tru-Time gear I bought says it's for 96-00 D16's only. But with the ability to swap cam gears from any head that we need to onto any other d series head. Is this cam gear really only good for the 96-00 d series engines? Or later after I pull my current engine out for the z6, will this cam gear also work properly on my z6?

I can't seem to get the URL to work from ebay. But it's a: AEM 23-804C Tru-Time Cam Gear
The cam gear should work just fine for your Z6.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts