Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

2013 Mazda5 34,701 miles on the odometer.

I changed the oil on the Odyssey, drained about 2.5 quarts out, refilled it with 4.7 quarts, and drove it to the dealership. The Odyssey was an ABSOLUTE nightmare! Seriously thing was TERRIBLE I could write a white paper on the things I took off, replaced, and fixed on it.

Eventually, the trans started to act weird, it needed a CV axle, rotors were warped, AC was cutting in and out, and it was burning oil on cold startup. It's not someone elses headache...

Enter the Mazda5; kinda small, great MPG, BASICALLY BRAND NEW, and there's not a blemish on it. It fits the Wife/kids well and apparently has the same platform as the Fiesta or Focus or whatever; so it's handing characteristics are pretty decent.

Anyways, thought I'd check in with y'all.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
odysseys have been plagued for years!

Be glad your done with that nightmare..!

this the turbo version?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
My wife's 12 Oddity has been a dream cept for the brakes. Should I be concerned as she ages? The van I mean.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Like awebb's they warped fast. Now we have a torn cv boot. Just found out the other day, havent got under and checked it out. We were adhering to the warranty and letting them do all the work but they never addressed the rotors and didnt rotate tires correctly, really nothing. So now there is a nice bill they want to charge me, so we are done following their warranty and I am taking over the work.

We put 60,000 on it so the wear and tear I get but the dealership has not been helpful. That's what I get for paying cash and letting my wife go with the tire deal.....rip off.

Any way, nice pick up Awebb didnt mean to steal the thread. Maybe I will start one on my Oddity when I start working on it.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
this the turbo version?
You're thinking of the Mazdaspeed3, aka the hatchback. This is the 5, the mini-mini van.

What year odyssey? ... So you replace it with a ford? Good luck
07, some of its problems were my fault (never use a cheap timing belt tensioner) but a lot were just the fact that I bought a lemon. There's really no other way to say it, it's had problems since day 1 and I've regretted the decision ever since...

Oh and technically Ford stole from Mazda, so I'm good :) Everything I've read about the MZR 4 cylinders is that they're essentially bullet proof! So we'll see...

WhoShoot, I wouldn't be too concerned. Honda fixed most of the "common" issues starting in 05. It got to the point were I was literally fixing something every other month. Like I said it was a lemon. And again, DON'T USE A CHEAP TIMING BELT TENSIONER!

No offense but that thing is butt-ugly. The front looks like the people on the Soundgarden video.
Agreed actually, I don't care for the swoops on the sides, the grill looks like it's on happy pills, but I do love the back end (which is the only thing I hated about the previous gen).

However, I got payoff on the Odyssey, a 2013 van, it has 34k miles on it, my payments went up $40 a month, and I get better mpg.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many miles were on the 07 odyssey?

Im interested because i was planning on getting an 07+ odyssey in the future. Touring edition.
Mine had low 100k something on it when I bought it and 143k when I got rid of it.

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT BUY A TOURING EDITION!!!!

Price tires at tirerack.com for the touring edition first, after you do that look up "de-pax tires".

Go buy an EX-L with a drop down DVD, you get leather and surround sound but no Nav (which you likely wouldn't use anyways). And it'll have VTEC-E for better fuel economy than the base version.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I have the EX-L, phew....and yes I agree the package is and was the best option for future reference Neon.

The brakes are still under sized and under cooled but overall I love eeet.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Mine had low 100k something on it when I bought it and 143k when I got rid of it.

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT BUY A TOURING EDITION!!!!

Price tires at tirerack.com for the touring edition first, after you do that look up "de-pax tires".

Go buy an EX-L with a drop down DVD, you get leather and surround sound but no Nav (which you likely wouldn't use anyways). And it'll have VTEC-E for better fuel economy than the base version.

Yeah i was planning on putting aftermarket wheels on ditch the different sized inside/outside rim diameter crap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts