1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright im asking this for a friend.
alright heres the deal.
its a z6 motor. and has a werid noise from the lower end.
at first it sounded like a pulley so we took the alt and ac belts off to see if it was either of those. that was not it.
but we noticed that you can move the crank/crank pulley up and down.
the pulley is not loose soit seems the crank has play.
there is no rod knock its just a little bit of noisebut very noticeable.
now could it be bad thrust washers? bad main bearings?
also with oil pan off you can move the rods side to side slightly. is that normal?
any help would be awesome

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Side to side to side on the rods is normal but you shouldn't have any up/down slop in the crank. You sure you don't mean side to side? Like if the engine was still in the car, and you could pull the crank in and out a tiny bit. A small bit of play there could be ok. I would just pull the engine and girdle. I have also heard such bad isb noise in the transmission, it could be mistaken for lower engine noise too.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bad i did mean in and out onthe crank with it still in the car. also makes a clunking noise while doing that to the crank. thats why i think it def bottem end noise. and its def onthe crank pulley side of the motor.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
What type of modifications are done to the car? Got a stiffer aftermarket clutch pressure plate? Sounds like crank walk to me... If it is crank walk you need to replace your thrust washers before the crank gets pushed into the girdle on the block... That will cause all kinds of havoc in the engine... I beleive your only supposed to have .002 of clearance between the thrust washers and the crank so, if the crank is moving far enough to hear it "clunk" then its likely your thrust washers are worn out...

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I guess I'd first try another Z6 crank pulley. If that doesn't fix it then remove the trans. See if it is still there with the trans removed...if so, time for an engine overhaul.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'd first try another Z6 crank pulley. If that doesn't fix it then remove the trans. See if it is still there with the trans removed...if so, time for an engine overhaul.
imthinking the kid wants a rebuild anyways so im pretty sure the motor is coming out very shortly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts