Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would put together a little thread documenting the things I have done and do to my little Toyota Pickup truck.

His name is Boris. Lol. Named by the gf. It was originally her truck and some how its now mine, and my Integra is hers.

Its an 86 Long box, 4WD, manual trans, manual hubs, 2.4L carb'd 22r.

100% stock, tires are 10mm taller than stock. Thats it! And the dumbo mirrors. Haha.

Anyways some pics

One of the first times I took the truck out, was still the GFs at the time. She posed with Boris. Haha

Back at Stave a few weeks later. The rear leaf spring mount disconnected itself from the frame this day.

Ripping through the Sami trails at Stave. I bet you 40mpg knows all about these trails! The Yotas mirrors didnt help at all. Haha

And another trip out past Chilliwack at the Vedder.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That was one of the last times Boris went out. Shortly there after the water pump impeller came off the pump shaft and ate through the timing cover. So off it had to come off to get repaired.

Im not all that experienced with welding aluminum so I am really happy how it turned out.

New chain, tensioner, guides, and water pump!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I started driving it again. It was super rich! Something is up with the fueling. I havent even figured it out yet. But I have some ideas. The bowl empties of fuel over night. THe needle or seat might be leaking, or possibly a torn accelerator pump diaphragm, etc.

Anyways this is the result. It is LOUD. Louder than a gun.

And yes, you are right. That is a Y7 muffler off a Civic coupe that I put on my truck. LOL. Its all I had at the time!!

So i quickly slammed together a new exhaust. 2.5" Magnaflow off a mustang! Hehe

And now it shoots 3 foot flames. Must fix it before it blows up another exhaust!!!! Only when its half warm. Never after fires when its warm. lol.

And this sweet wheel bearing extractor I made at work for a different dudes truck. Will be using it on mine soon!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude the rear wheel bearings were a joke! Took me about 7 hours to do them on the truck that came in, book time was 5. But that also included me having to make the tool which I had to make twice since the first one folded at about 5 tonnes on the press. LOL!!

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Yeah rear wheel bearings are mad gay on these. Pretty easy to fuck up the backing plate too if you're not careful.

Exhaust looks pimp. Getting more time in with the TIG at work? Or just blasted it together with MIG, because racetruck?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I migged the shit outa that, just to get it done as quick as possible.

But I did install two Vibrant resonators in the Teg a few weeks ago, tigged it all. Came out really nice. I shoulda taken pics.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
I'm sorry for your misfortune, but I don't get why people go bonkers for these trucks. They seem to be like EF's - reliability means nothing if everything is worn out. That's the main main reason I gave up on EF's.

As far as the carb issue, I don't know 22r specifics but it could be multiple things: a bad float, a bad choke, a cracked vac line (choke, etc), bad mixture needle setting, a cracked diphragm, etc. From what I see, the 22r carbs have a bowl sight, so check that first. If the float sticks open (gum or debris in needle), it will literally start dumping fuel.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldnt say I went bonkers over the truck, but its a good, reliable vehicle when im not wheeling it hard. And it gets about 300km to the tank, about the same as my Civic. Lol! But it is a hell of a lot slower.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet tip dude! I have been putting off pulling parts off the carb in case something ends up being too messed up to put back together! I am scared. Haha its like opening a transmission for the first time, I think theres going to be monsters inside that will bite my penis! lol!!!! hahaha....

Anyways I had a few extra bucks to throw at the truck, and it needed it. So I went ahead and ordered a new idler arm for it. Well, I got the wrong one, somehow didnt notice that it was for the RWD only... so I had the truck up on the hoist and the old idler arm off... had to find a way to rebuild it and refresh it and this is what I came up with.

The idler arm pivot rod had a lot of corrosion. So I had to not only replace the bushings but rebush out the worn shaft.

I had really no idea what the hell I was gonna do, but I remembered a bit of this copper sheet lying around somewhere in the shop. Would have liked to use steel or something but oh well, this should work for now.

Then decided to add a zerk fitting for the future.

Installed.

I want to try and lathe up some bronze bushings instead of the plastic ones the cheap idler arms come with. Wheeling just destroys them....

Also did the front brakes and replaced the wind shield washer pump, which actually still worked, just had a gummed up pick up. But I figured I would replace the pump since I was in there and already had the new pump. Interesting side note, the washer pump, even being located at the very front of the truck (aka would get pinched in an accident) was ground side switched. Lol.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Haha its like opening a transmission for the first time, I think theres going to be monsters inside that will bite my penis!l
Now I am just morbidly curious how often this has happened to you.... And where are you getting your transmissions from.....? :devil:

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So I made a few more changes to the truck! The GF got my a Spoon Sports shift knob for my birthday a while back. I like the shifter in the Honda, so I had to find a new place for this thing.

Ended up making an adapter so I could use it on the Toyota. Wow its so much better than the original one! Fits perfect and works a lot better with the long throw truck shifter.

And ever since I put the truck back together from the timing chain, and trying to swap carbs, I have had SERIOUS after firing issues. As seen by the exploded Y7 muffler up above.

I decided to take a quick video of it for everyone to see. Haha, I wish I got it at night time, but oh well. Check it out!

So I had to do something about that, obviously cops dont like it, and I am tired of making new exhausts....

Like Beerdrinkin said, the first thing I checked was the AAP diaphragm, and yep... it was toast.

I expect to see about 400km from this next tank of fuel.

So once I got the new one in there, I whipped out the wideband, put it in a bung I welded in the exhaust when it was apart the other week....

AFR at idle with the AAP pump fixed was 24:1. I dont even know how it idled! haha. Like 5 turns of the screw later it was idling at 15.5:1ish.

Took it for a quick drive with the wideband on there and the AFR's were really good at high load, cruise, low load, etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts