Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as many of us know, d's are pretty much torqueless motors. so i plan on boring this d16z6 i have laying around but my mechanic is saying that my cylinder walls arent that thick and i run the risk of blowing a hole through the block, and so i suggested sleeves and he said that you would have to bore it a little more to compensate for the sleeve and run the risk of burning up a waterjacket. im wondering if anybody has bored a z6 .5mm over or what not and if they had any problems. and if anybody knows how much i can bore it until i run the risk of blowing a hole through my block.

·
Registered
951 Posts
78mm was wha he did on sleeves, and is the max you would want to to on a thick brand of sleeves like GoldenEagle sleeves. Some aftermarket ductile irons sleeves arent as thick . On stock sleeves .5mm or .20 over is fine . Some people have done .30 over and even .40 wich is 1mm over. i think

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
jimmyb34 said:
oscarmayer has his bored out to 78 mm i believe
thats on a sleeved block

Honda set their limit of OEM pistons at .5mm oversized. i dont see why you would have any problem running that on your motor.

hell, im going for 76mm, some people say im crazy and that i will crack a sleeve, but you never know until you try. so im going to try it :smile:

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks guys, i just wanted to make sure before i dropped some bills on boring and have to buy a new motor a month later. do i get the machine shop to custom make me sleeves? or do i havta buy them from a major company and put them in myself?

·
Registered
951 Posts
76mm is 40 thousands over isnt it? That woudl be fine n/a. I have seen a few pistons and rings in that overbore size. Im not shure about boosting though. That ads more stress.
ryan89crx said:
thats on a sleeved block

Honda set their limit of OEM pistons at .5mm oversized. i dont see why you would have any problem running that on your motor.

hell, im going for 76mm, some people say im crazy and that i will crack a sleeve, but you never know until you try. so im going to try it :smile:

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
DontSaveHer said:
76mm is 40 thousands over isnt it? That woudl be fine n/a. I have seen a few pistons and rings in that overbore size. Im not shure about boosting though. That ads more stress.
yes i know this. but with teh Import community, all it takes in 1 person to fuck something up and then everyone jumps on the bandwagon and says that it can never be done again. whether it was their own fault or not. i havent heard of many people cracking D sleeves at all, and i dont recall ever hearing anyone boring to .040 and having issues either. its just that it LOOKS like the cyl walls are going to be too thin.

if im wrong, im wrong, big deal. im going to try it so i know firsthand how well it will hold up. if it works, there will still be haters, but i will know for sure on my own. if it doesnt work, i will glady take all the "i told you so" comments that everyone wants to dish out. if nobody was willing to take a risk, the Honda performance world would go nowhere

C

·
0 Posts
.40 thou should be ok if you fill your block, i did it, and it works good.

·
Registered
EG6
299 Posts
i was kindof woundering about this too... i have heard that you dont want to bore it out any more than 10over w/ boost... i have 20over on my n/a and i haven't had any problems... when i called honda to get pistons, when i first started my build, they sell 50over from honda... kinda weird...

·
Registered
41 Posts
The guys at HONDA HOOKUPS in Cali had some cars at Californa Speedway in Fontana. They had some that had D16 that were 1.8l I asked them for info they gave me sticker, flyers, a LP frame and talked shizz 4 a while. Tried to go to their web site it was down at the time. I'm going to look for their card I have it somewere.

·
Registered
365 Posts
J. Tippy said:
when i called honda to get pistons, when i first started my build, they sell 50over from honda... kinda weird...
Its not .050" over, its .5mm over, which is about .020" over. Honda used to sell .25mm over as well (.010"). I haven't asked in a while.

I ran 75mm pistons in my 86 Civic block for a really long time. The stock bore of the block is 74mm. The motor was NA, but it got rev'd to 9,000 all the time. It was a good strong motor (relatively speaking).

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is sleeving required when you bore it out? or is it just a safe-gaurd against blowing your block apart at high boost

·
Registered
951 Posts
boring out .10 or .20/.5mm over is fine on stock sleeves. Resleeving is usualy done to put in thick/stronger sleeves made of Ductile Iron. That makes them stronger for and high hp/stresses of boost, and also they are thicker so u can overbore more, if you want.

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DontSaveHer said:
boring out .10 or .20/.5mm over is fine on stock sleeves. Resleeving is usualy done to put in thick/stronger sleeves made of Ductile Iron. That makes them stronger for and high hp/stresses of boost, and also they are thicker so u can overbore more, if you want.
so i would be able to run about ~24psi on stock sleeves if i only went .20 over(which is .5mm i believe)?

C

·
0 Posts
d series make more tq than b16a's and stock b18c's under boosted condition stock bore.

long stroke owns for tq.

boring out a d series is pointless, unless u are running sleeves.

O

·
0 Posts
what are you trying to acheive? what is your pwoer goals and what are you wanting to do exactly putting boring asside. jsut as a whole goal.

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oscarmayer said:
what are you trying to acheive? what is your pwoer goals and what are you wanting to do exactly putting boring asside. jsut as a whole goal.
i want to hit around 270whp with as much torque as i can get for auto-x. im planning on running a t3/t04e with all the internal motor/suspension goodies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts