Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
o.k
I gotta z6 block (cylinder walls scratched--had nitrous on it @ 1 time)
I took it to the machine shop a couple of weeks ago,
had the guy look at it,he said .020 over would clear them,
but since I'm getting the pistons off of the internet(ebay)
(and won't be able to send them back)
he said .030 would clean them up just fine (on the safe side)
my mechanic I know,said that .030 over would maybe cause overheating problems & that I want to try to stick with .020,
the guy at the shop also said that he would need the pistons to be able to bore it out,
so now what??
I plan on putting turbo on this motor,I've read in the past on forums & this site that (boring & turbo is=crack city)...not sure where I'm at,
but my question/s is....

(1.) will boring the block .020 or .030 over w/turbo hurt the block? (n anyway?)
--cylinder walls too thin...--
(I know tuning is the key...but its worth asking..)
also,
(2.) will .030 MAY--cause any heating problems...?
(3.) & at last...if he needed the pistons before boring it...what size would you go for?
.020,.025,.030???

(he said .030 over would for sure clear them up...but is it an alright way to go.?--when me & my mechanic think that .020 over would do the job.)

thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would go for lowest possible since you are boosting it. But you must have the pistons already as well. As for heat...there are turbo setups on stock pistons that overheat

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I plan on getting the nippon pistons on ebay.....
metalurgy--I believe

--also,,I would like to go for the lowest possible..heck.
I would like to stay standard,
but the guy i bought the block off of had nitrous on it & scratched the walls up,(met him off ebay,went & picked it up)
the guy at the shop said .020 over would clear them up,
but to be on the safe side he .030....

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Are those pistons very reliable though? I have seen them go for pretty cheap. Anyone here using them?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Got Vtec? said:
Are those pistons very reliable though? I have seen them go for pretty cheap. Anyone here using them?
check the thread on HT about the guy putting down 340+ with Vitaras(roughly the same - cast aluminum, yield the same compression, bigger ringlands than Honda pistons)

·
Registered
649 Posts
I went 0.20 over on my d16z6 using wiseso pistons no overheating problems not [email protected] try to stay @0.20 bore if you need to go more search for another block just my toughts....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You are suppose to send piston with your block when you get your block machined....so the machine shop, machine each cylinder to fit with each piston.....Same if you get a set of 0.020 oversize, the 4 piston have not exactly the same size....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts