Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm boring my block out since I am installing new pistons and I figure I may as well make the block fresh. So I have been reading and asking lots of questions as anyone on my AOL knows all to well. I am wondering, what specs I need to bore if I'm using SRP 9.0:1 pistons from Tuner Toys.
What diameter bore for these, what grit, what finish all that nonesense. I know that everything is different for forged as compared to cast. So I was wondering if anyone knew what the set up is for these pistons or should I just email JE/SRP.

-TAG

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Depends on the bore you get. Std/10over/20over ect...

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it will most likely be 10 over bored

most likely going to be .010 + but what about the finish and such, the block is heading to the machine shop tomorrow.

-TAG

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i believe even the standard bore SRPs require some machining. they are a tad bigger than stock due to the material they are made of. i believe ccfab was the one that said this.

Kyle, any truth to it?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I used stock bore JE pistons in a 40,000mile zc sohc engine without any problems with a good rehone . Forged pistons do expand more than cast pistons under heat. Also i think SRP have a higher silicone content wich makes them expand more.
ryan89crx said:
i believe even the standard bore SRPs require some machining. they are a tad bigger than stock due to the material they are made of. i believe ccfab was the one that said this.

Kyle, any truth to it?

·
Registered
537 Posts
You cant just bore/hone out the block just based on the Bore size of the piston. Each piston manufacturer has their own Clearances on their piston. Not all pistons are made of the same material and can expand in diff ways.

Make sure you get the spec sheet of the piston before you do any machining.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
ryan89crx said:

Kyle, any truth to it?
I ran 10 over, so I dont know what std is like, I dont see why they wouldnt just fit in anyways.. Its the rings that hold pressure against the wall not the piston. I bored my block out 75.25 mm w/ 10 over SRP's. Now I am going 76mm w/ .40 over Vitara's ::shocked:

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
my wiseco's came with a spec sheet showing what everything needs to be at. im sure any popular company will have the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Take the spec sheet that came with the pistons and take that with you to the machine shop and they will bore it to the specs and make any adjustments if there are clearance issues. Easy as pie.

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Answer

Well I got my email back from him and it is:
Hello,

Whatever bore size of pistons you bought is the bore size the block needs to be. If you purchased the 75.25mm bore, then you need to bore the block to those specs. We set the clearence when making the pistons for that bore. So our catalog specifies that cylinder bore that our pistons are for. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nick DiBlasi
Sport Compact Sales
JE Pistons
714-898-9763 x253 Office
714-899-2903 Fax

and that's it, so I guess the pistons are built specifically for that bore size. Kyle do still have your spec sheet that came with your pistons?

-TAG

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
Machine shop should measure the piston diameter, add the piston manufacturers spec'd clearance, and bore accordingly. Any piston manufacturer that tells you their piston is dead on the bore diameter specified, is full of shit. There will always be casting/machining tolerances, and they should be specifying this information with your piston purchase

·
Registered
537 Posts
Honda4VW said:
Machine shop should measure the piston diameter, add the piston manufacturers spec'd clearance, and bore accordingly. Any piston manufacturer that tells you their piston is dead on the bore diameter specified, is full of shit. There will always be casting/machining tolerances, and they should be specifying this information with your piston purchase
I agree, while the manufacturer means well and designs their pistons so the clearance is built in the specs. You should still have the piston on hand and have the machine shop measure EACH piston and Match it to the cylinder its going into. Its just safer that way.
Take it from me, we have done alot of these using different brands of pistons.

·
Tom Foolery
1995 Civic EX Coupe
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Basically NO idea

Yeah you could tell that he really didn't know what he was talking about. The machine shop is getting back to me tomorrow to see if 10 over will clean up the cylinders perfectly.

-TAG

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Per the SRP tech I talked to when I needed the same info:

Piston to wall clearance in a forced induction application needs to be 3 to 3.5 thousand of an inch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts