Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading these forums for some time and have finally decided not to go n/a with my d16y8 and instead piece together a solid turbo setup. Seeing as i am only shooting for around 250 whp im looking into getting some vitara pistons and either fj rods or rcautoworks vitara kit.

I noticed that the rc kit comes with 75.5mm pistons and some people say that doing is a .5 bore is good to do my thing is i live a decent distance from a machine shop and this is my daily driver and i cant be without a car for a long period of time aside from that is a 75.5mm bore really needed or can i get away with the stock bore?

All opinions are welcome thanks!

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
What condition is your stock bore in is a rather important aspect. Do you have facilities to measure it accurately and to hone it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i haven't cracked the motor open yet to see what the condition is but i do want to toss a new gasket set in that i have had since i got the car and some arp head bolts i got to put in so i can check the condition then my motor has about 114,000 on it. if it is messed up i can take it to a machine shop there is a place that my v8 buddies take all of there stuff to but it is a little bit of a drive.

now if i do need to hone it will boring it negate the need for a hone or will i need to hone if the walls turn out to be messed up and then bore if i wanted to?

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Get an overbore, then a hone. Tell the machine shop you want a 60 degree crosshatch with a min of 400 grit.

Honing is done to make the walls rougher which will help in retaining oil and bedding in the new piston rings. Just an overbore is not enough.

At 114,000, it's best to do an overbore. The stock sleeves will not be a perfect circle. Plus, on the stock bore, the Vitaras will be very noisy due to piston slap. Give the machine shop your new pistons and ask for a piston-to-wall clearance of about 0.002 to 0.0025".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get an overbore, then a hone. Tell the machine shop you want a 60 degree crosshatch with a min of 400 grit.

Honing is done to make the walls rougher which will help in retaining oil and bedding in the new piston rings. Just an overbore is not enough.

At 114,000, it's best to do an overbore. The stock sleeves will not be a perfect circle. Plus, on the stock bore, the Vitaras will be very noisy due to piston slap. Give the machine shop your new pistons and ask for a piston-to-wall clearance of about 0.002 to 0.0025".
Thanks for the info ill just have to make the dive to the shop. Now when i tell them to use at least 400 grit if they ask me "Well what do you want?" and if i tell them the piston to wall clearance and they want an exact number what should i give them?

And one more question for anyone looking at this are FJD quick at producing rods because I've seen that they need 10 orders before they make them or am i going to be waiting a year for my rods to get to me?

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
FJD is closed for now due to multiple robberies at his shop. Not sure when they're going to be back. RC Autoworks should have the same rods. If not, then look here. Brand New DOHC B18A / B18B / B20 / SOHC D16 ----> H-Beam Rods $200 SHIPPED - Honda-Tech

P2W clearance of 0.0025 inches should be fine. Number the pistons before you hand over everything and make sure the machinist checks each piston before boring for that cylinder. Else, variances in manufacturing will mean different clearances for different cylinders.

·
凸(◕_◕)凸
1,669 Posts
FJD is closed for now due to multiple robberies at his shop. Not sure when they're going to be back. RC Autoworks should have the same rods. If not, then look here. Brand New DOHC B18A / B18B / B20 / SOHC D16 ----> H-Beam Rods $200 SHIPPED - Honda-Tech

P2W clearance of 0.0025 inches should be fine. Number the pistons before you hand over everything and make sure the machinist checks each piston before boring for that cylinder. Else, variances in manufacturing will mean different clearances for different cylinders.
Thanks for the link!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts