Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 vx hatch
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched for a while and haven't found any information on this particular subject...

I purchased a bored and honed 75.5mm z6 BARE block about 3 years ago now. It has sat in 100+ and 30 degree temp off and on since then. Haven't checked myself or sent to a shop yet either to verify maintenance. I was suggested to have them re-honed and probably will anyways after I measure it (why risk it, right?). Has anyone encountered any warpage or has heard of a hone/bore go bad after time passes/metal expansion and retraction?

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
The final hone should be to match the p2w specs to your pistons. Honing removes a bit material tho. As long as it comes out to the correct clearance, it shouldnt hurt.

·
Registered
92 vx hatch
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, that answered my question regarding the re-hone. I was honestly just curious about a motor itself sitting for a long period of time (3 years in this case). Has anyone ever heard of bores/hones going out of tolerance due to time going by without touching the block? (lets exclude the addition of corrosion out of this scenario)...

Dont really expect too much feedback. Just curious if anyone has ever had a block, bored and honed for a set of pistons and then re-measured everything to have found out that it has shifted

·
Registered
224 Posts
No nothing will happen if it sits for 3 years. The only issue is surface rust.
You do not want to hone it again because every time you hone your going to remove at least 15-20 Microns of metal.
So unless its rusted I would not touch it.
true, but there are ways to de-glaze it without removing material, with the correct tools and when touched very lightly just to remove the high spots of surface rust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts