Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have started a turbo built on my d16z6 but when i measured the cylinder bore taper it differed 0,055 on one cylinder and on the rest about 0,05 the service limit is on 0,05 and i wonder if i must bore or if i can go with this. I am going with Cp pistons. It wasn't any piston slap or noise before i took the engine apart.
Its kind of breaking my budget to bore :icon_frown:

/ V

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have you bought your pistons yet? Go oversized and have the block bored. Do it right or don't do it at all.
No i haven't bought the pistons yet. yes it would be good to bore but is it necessary? or just a waste of money. Will the oversize weaken the sleeves noticeable?

·
Premium Member
96 Honda Civic
985 Posts

·
Registered
89 CRX Si
32 Posts
Have you bought your pistons yet? Go oversized and have the block bored. Do it right or don't do it at all.
x3... If you're going to do it, you might as well do it once and do it right the first time. I'm sure you will run into a lot of others thing that aren't in your budget as well

·
Registered
226 Posts
No i haven't bought the pistons yet. yes it would be good to bore but is it necessary? or just a waste of money. Will the oversize weaken the sleeves noticeable?
Here's the thing. When the block is bored the machinist will match the piston to the bore. At most he'll be taking .5mm out. That's a half of a millimeter. This will straighten out the bores as well. You'll have nothing to worry about as far as strength goes

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
bore it to 75.5mm, set p2w clearance @.0035(or what ever cp recommends), and dont push over 550 hp. now do work and post pics.

edit, it should be no more than 25-40$ to bore each cylinder

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bore it to 75.5mm, set p2w clearance @.0035(or what ever cp recommends), and dont push over 550 hp. now do work and post pics.

edit, it should be no more than 25-40$ to bore each cylinder
Ok
her in Sweden the local shop takes 110$ for each cylinder

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Holy shit they charge an arm.and a leg to.bore. you might aswell bore and try finding.g a cheaper machine shop with turbo builds the.margin foe error is really small

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
A good machine shop can straighten your bores with a hone. It really depends on the exact size of the pistons and required clearance and existing bore at the maximum point. Often forged pistons are made a few thou smaller than cast pistons so the run OK in a std unworn bore.

Although it is obvious you are talking in mm, it pays to add units to measurement numers, especially as this is a predominantly USA board about a Japanese (metric) car. On occasion mistakes can be made about imperial or metric measurements.

If you are going to run a truckload of boost and make over 500hp, you may need the extra 0.055mm or so of clearance if you can get that with a straight and true hone job.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Oh, and you need to get more quotes for your machine work.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
If Sweden is so expensive, can you get it done in the former Soviet Union, like Latvia or In Denmark or Germany Or even the UK. More than half of US$ 400 must more than pay for a few phone calls and shipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts