Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I have a 90 crx si with a zc motor that I'm building. I have the block sleeved and bored to 75.5mm and am using eagle rods and endyne roller wave pistons (low compression). I have ARP head studs and Clutch master stage 3 clutch. I'm planning on boosting with a 14b (w/FMI) at around 11-14 psi. I was wondering now that I'm broke :( , what do I need to do to my head to get as much potential out of it as possible for the cheapest price??? Do you think just PnP, valves and springs would work? maybe cams? If so, which are the best??? Help me PLZ!!! thanks!

R

·
0 Posts
Just add more boost. Cheapest horsepower you can find when the block can take it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but the head is stock. Won't that cause wear with a built block and stock head at 20psi? If not, then I'll leave it stock and not worry about it, but I'm not 100% sure...I want to do it right the first time.

T

·
0 Posts
No, it won't cause wear. You won't get the power of increased revs without valve train modification... but then again, if you don't swap cams you won't be making power up there anyway.

What I would do is general work.. Replace valve stem steals, get the valves ground, seats checked.. maybe a mild port and polish just to clean up the intake and exhaust ports... but other than that.. let her rip!

R

·
0 Posts
good advice. many people that pnp the dohc zc head end up making it flow worse...its pretty good already

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I was running my D16A1 all motor I did the port smothing and gasket matching, when I built it for boost the guy that did the head reworked the area above the valve and seat area at the forward side of the port or closest to the exhaust valve. I am running USDM integra cams and at 14psi it will smoke the tires in 3rd at 60mph so a little port work in the right areas makes a big difference but so does boost...he he, especially in a 1G CRX.

Good luck with the build.
Cj

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, hey thanks for the help fellas. Now I just have to figure out this whole chipping the ecu stuff for turboedit :) LOL, just hoping to break the 13's *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah, what sucks is he spun a bearing the other night. :cry: Obviosuly that had nothing to do with the management he was running.

He ran a mid 12 the night before though. I say he got his moneys worth out of the block. :lol:

T

·
0 Posts
Homemade or Prefab, if you do the right setup, and use the right engine management... great things are possible. :D

Mid 12s on a stock internal ZC... Sweeeeet! :D

O

·
0 Posts
the stock cams and valves are capable of handeling up to about 16lbs of boost. you sleeved block can support in upwords of 30psi. stop worrieing about pushing too much boost with that sleeved motor. (as long as tunign is somewhere right). Why only 75.5mm? why not 78mm? the extra ccs woudl ahve given you about 25 more hp witht he exact same setup over the 75.5mm boreing. It's due to a chance in bore/stroke that causes the performance increase. Anyways, you should get an afc, and tune the car to 14 lbs and you'll be fine as a daily. I do how ever highly recommned a MUCH better fuel management system. Hondata, aem, or at least the E-manage, With larger injectors (440 rc or if you chose the 450 dsm units). you shoudl product about 260 wheel power or so if propwerly setup with a decent turbo. Not sure if your 14b can support that kind of power. you mught have too mush motor for that turbo and ti not be able to really do ya much good. Maybe a t3/t4 turbo would be better choice , but that's for you to decide.

T

·
0 Posts
oscarmayer said:
I do how ever highly recommned a MUCH better fuel management system. Hondata, aem, or at least the E-manage.
...uh, are you kidding me? First off, Hondata would require a PR3 at minimum, and a PR3 would throw Knock, VTEC, VTEC Oil, and secondary O2. ERR! Stupid suggestion.

Next, you have AEM with an OBD1 conversion. OBD1 distributor, ECU Conversion harness, *THEN* you can buy the AEM unit itself, $1200. ERR Stupid suggetion.

eManage? Are you kidding? Hey, GReddy salesman, stop referring people to spend hundereds of dollars in CRAP to run thier systems. ERR! Stupid suggestion.

TurboEDIT will and *DOES* run high horsepower vehicles effectively. And as fo your lame fall back excuse "'Real Shops' won't touch that." If they tune Zdyne, they'll tune TE. Not to mention TEs feature list, and support outweighs Zdyne 10 fold.

O

·
0 Posts
turbo, you NEED to stop thinking everyoe is attacking you... I was responding directly to HIOS question only ot any of your replies. I have gotten to where I ignore you and several others on here because you all seem to think it's ok to instead of discuss an issue, to bash someone instead. I have lots more comments, but it's not worth it. Either way, There ARE several options out there and YES Hondata does support some obd-0 ecus. www.hondata.com go check it out yourself.

I did not read anything you typed in any posts. i only replied directly to him so stop thinking everyone is out to get you...

T

·
0 Posts
I'm not bashing you, I'm bashing your suggestions.

..and the only OBD0 ECUs Honda supports is PR3 and PW0. Good luck finding EITHER of those ECUs for less than $200. Second, they will both throw the CEL codes I listed above, as he has a ZC, and it won't work.

The *minimum* he could do to use your suggestions are switch to OBD1 (which requires a distributor and harness), *THEN* fork out $1200+ for EMS, and $600 or more for Hondata and an OBD1 ECU.

...you need to stop thinking everyone is attacking you. I don't care about you, I care about what you tell people. Though your suggestions will work, no one is aruging, that, they're just not practical. TurboEDIT, for this situation, is the most practical, cost effective solution.

O

·
0 Posts
ok, maybe it's how you stated your reply? maybe we (all of us) need to take a look at what we are writting and how it is going to come across. it's bad enough there are 3 or 4 guys on ehre that make it a point to do nothing but bash others, but if the rest of us work at it we can all appear somewhat civic.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh man, thanks for the input fellas! A T3/T4 is in the future, but as for right now, the 14b is in perfect shape...so I'll use that for a temperary. I have 450cc DSM inj. and am still tring to get that damn ecu soldered and use TE...stupid thing, I'm still scared to touch it. But, now I'm researching cams to see what my options are what the best one is. So here's the list... let me know what you guys think...

-DOHC ZC block bored and sleeved
-Eagle rods, Endyne pistons
-14b with hf manifold
-450cc DSM's
-custom FMIC
-ARP head studs
-Clutch Master stg 3
-Stock 90 pm6 trying to hack (hoping somebody offers to do it for me :wink: )
-After watching that kickass video :shock: , hoping to break the 12's!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts