Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everyone i have really been wanting to boost my hx and so i have started looking for parts to piece my kit together.im most likely going to put a y8 head on my y5 just for clarification. my hp goal is 160-200 hp and about the same for torque.i want a fast spooling turbo so i have a good usable powerband and i plan on 7-9 psi on stock internals and this is my daily driver so im going for reliable.also i dont have ac but i would like to keep my ps so i need a good ramhorn manifold .i make 45,000 a year and dont have to many bills so i should be able to put together a decent turbo setup.what would be the best size turbo for me i have been looking at these 2
TURBO http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280734309489&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
i know its not oem but its oem replacement and its not cheap knockoff from ebay

also this gt28r
GARRETT GT28R S15 SILVIA TURBO - eBay (item 270810857615 end time Sep-08-11 17:28:03 PDT)

i dont know if the gt28 is to big or if its perfect im reading up but its a little confusing.where is a good place to get a manifold from?i have a decent knowledge in motors so i will be trying to install this myself and then i will tow it to a tuner probably.

also i forgot i need a new cat so im going to convert to ex style cat under the car so i need a new exhaust for the turbo and cat would this be ok or would it be to small of piping?i dont want a really loud exhaust and i really like the look of this http://www.greddy.com/products/exhausts/spectrum-elite/

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
First link isn't working for me. But if its a oem replacement for a sr20 then it will work just fine.
A nissan t25 or the t28 u listed will work great for your power goals and needs. The down side to using a t2 setup is there isn't many manifold for civics and t2 turbos. Your probably have to use an adapter plate. If u check my build u can see.

Y8 head will be great those y5 don't flow right because of the there vtec.
Also start looking into engine managment. Also do you have emission where you live?
For power leveles look up some y8 or z6 greddy/eldblock turbo dynos. There turbos are around the same size as what your wanting to get.

On the exhuast. Turbos lower the sound out of the muffler. So it won't be to loud.
But what your want to find is an exhuast catback in 2.25 or 2.5 then by a cat and it should all bolt up without problem.
The 2nd o2 senor wires might have to be extended. Other then that everything will be good.

Sorry if this is all ran together. I'm replying via cellphone.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think that 2.36 in is to small all the greddy exhausts have 60mm piping and a 102mm tip? should i buy the exhaust first? thats 700 dollars before i can start buying my turbo stuff?yes i have emmisions but i only have to pass it once and never smog again in my city because i live in the mountains. california is shitty but im just going to try to drive normal in the city and have fun on the freeways.i cant remember if i need a smog this year or next but it would be perfect if i have to smog this year because i wont have to worry about it unless i move from quincy ca. i was also wondering if i extend the wires and move the o2 to below the car would that throw a cel?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Just by extending the wires you wont get a cel.

2.36 is a good size exhuast. People have turbo there cars on stock exhuast. Which i believe is way smaller then that, and they still get good power. The thing with the exhuast is the bigger you go the sooner the turbo will spool. But since this turbo is small already it should have no problem spooling up by 3k.

Exhaust before turbo is your call. If you get the exhuast now then you will get a small bump in power for the time being. Also $700 seems high. I got custom 2.25 cat back from a muffler shop. I believe it was around $150, then a fireball muffler for $30 on ebay.

On emission tho since your in Cali the do an obd2 scan, overlook of the motor, and a sniffer.
So passing with the turbo might be had because a custom kit wont be carb legal and your fail. Then if you swap to obd1 for tuning, your fail the obd2 scan. So you might have to remove the turbo kit to get it to pass.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well like i said as long as i live in my area i will never have to smog again so the only thing i have to worry about is getting my hood popped and a ref ticket.ya but i think its well worth it i dont want anything close to a fart can really i would stay stock but i dont think i should with a turbo. i like the tone of my car with just my sri on it just needs a little deeper tone.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
look into vibrant mufflers. good stealthy mufflers that have a great sound and a low price. get a muffler shop to make you a exhaust, get the cat replaced and your car fixed. get it smogged and then put on your turbo set up and be done with it.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't want a cheap made exhaust I will look into the vibrant but most likely will get the greddy.also thinking of buying a brand new Oem ex cat so I won't have to worry about buying another one for a long time. Anyone have a used ex cat for sale in good condition? I'm thinking I will get exhaust last because I don't have headers so it wouldn't fit with my exhaust now unless I bought a test pipe or headers and ex cat. Also should I use a t3 to f25 adapter plate from eBay?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I don't want a cheap made exhaust I will look into the vibrant but most likely will get the greddy.also thinking of buying a brand new Oem ex cat so I won't have to worry about buying another one for a long time. Anyone have a used ex cat for sale in good condition? I'm thinking I will get exhaust last because I don't have headers so it wouldn't fit with my exhaust now unless I bought a test pipe or headers and ex cat. Also should I use a t3 to f25 adapter plate from eBay?
piping is piping man. An exhuast shop can make the same thing your buying for way cheaper. The only thing they do is take yours off and make bends to match in a bigger size pipe. But to each his own. if you wanna order greddy then do so.

Now for the adapter plate. Yes you can get the ebay one. I got mines from godspeed i believe it was $32 shipped. Be sure to use studs on the manifold and turbo.

And since your waiting on the exhuast you can get your manifold, turbo, adapter plate, and downpipe.(depending on price of items but i got all that for well under $700)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a certain size stud to use? Where do you get the hardware?where would be the best place to buy a manifold I'm looking at an eBay ramhorn right now

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
The thread size will depend on the manifold you use. I normally cant find studs at hardware stores. So what i do is get a bolt the thread i need and way longer then i need. Tighten it into the manifold all the way till it bottoms out.
Then cut the bolt down to size. Get a nut and put it on.
Ive been doing this for a while with all different things and never had a problem. Just get a clean cut or your have problems threading the nut on.

On the ramhorn idk i never really liked them so never looked. Just know if you get one on ebay it might be made of thin metal which will crack over time.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya I figured it would crack that's why I'm asking.ok so I bid on the t25 Oem replacement 240 turbo its got ten hours left and I bid on the adapter plate. Can't wait to get this shit started. Thanks for all the help man

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I bought the turbo, adapter plate, and a go-autoworks ramhorn manifold. My friend brought up a good point to me that I shouldn't buy an ex cat because I'm going obd 1 and I should just get a test pipe what do you guys think

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Ok so I bought the turbo, adapter plate, and a go-autoworks ramhorn manifold. My friend brought up a good point to me that I shouldn't buy an ex cat because I'm going obd 1 and I should just get a test pipe what do you guys think
Be sure to test fit everything when u get it. That why u will know what ur working with and what needs modding.

On the cat. If emission isnt a problem then go with a hi flow. Most are just straight pipes tho, but its all good.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now are there any injectors I can buy that will fit without modification and clip into the stock harness.how much bigger should I go for say 190hp?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
First of the go autoworks ramhorn is overkill for your power goal, eventhough its a good choice for 400plus hp.

Why don't you look into greddy 15g kit, some guy here in dso is selling one for 600 buck with IC piping in all.

And for your info the y5 head is capable of making power of your expectation. The greedy 15g I had would boost at 1800rpm at the earliest. This I see all the time during datalogging. Combined this with vtec E at 2800 rpm you'll be set.

What I would recommend though is replace your tranny to a y8 or z6.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know its overkill but I don't want an eBay one that could crack and plus if I find this turbo to small I can upgrade to a t3/t4.I think I have an ex tranny because I read that the hx should be at 2500 at 65 but I'm at 3 at 65mph in 5th

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Now are there any injectors I can buy that will fit without modification and clip into the stock harness.how much bigger should I go for say 190hp?
I know its overkill but I don't want an eBay one that could crack and plus if I find this turbo to small I can upgrade to a t3/t4.I think I have an ex tranny because I read that the hx should be at 2500 at 65 but I'm at 3 at 65mph in 5th
Rc injectors are plug an play. i believe they come in 440cc or 450cc. Will run you about $300 new.
For you power goals i wouldnt go lower then 410cc. If you go higher then that you will have run to grow. The max size you should go would be 520cc (which is way over what your wanting.)

ON the transmission its a hard call, because i hear the ex and hx have the same code but different gears. Code S40 | B000. So for the time being you will be ok on the transmission. I would only change it if you boost and dont like the gearing.

Also you might have spent to much on the manifold. You could of gotten a castiron manfiold on ebay. But its still cool in the end you help out the site by buying from go-autoworks.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts