Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D15B7 and am preparing to do a mini-me swap with a D16 head not sure which one yet. I am going to build both the head and block before this is done. I am planning for full forged internals and a nice set up on the head. I was thinking of using a small turbo at around 7-10 lbs on this setup.
What is the highest compression ratio I can safely run boost on and not worry about messing the engine up. And how high could I turn boost on race fuel? Yes the engine will be sleeved. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
629 Posts
kyle h. said:
It'll all depend on who's tuning it. You're questions are way to broad.
i agree.

im planning on running around 20 psi daily at 10:1 compression and stock sleeves, but im a crazy fucker. :razz:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
98_4drCivic said:
i agree.

im planning on running around 20 psi daily at 10:1 compression and stock sleeves, but im a crazy fucker. :razz:

ahaha lmfao that's great. funny shit

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
10:1comp +15psi here...
240WHP (272HP SAE NET) 240FT-lbs of torque (220+ lbs from 4200-6500rpm)

Don't bother building a D15. Build a d16 right away. D15 has less available parts and you'll need to get more expensive/custom internals only to end up with something weaker...

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
forged internals on a b7?? have fun paying $700+ for rods alone...

do it right and get a 1.6 block. internals will be cheaper, plus you get the added stroke which will help make more power.

Kyle(berettagtz) make 174whp at 4psi on a .42/.48 with his 10:1 z6 :TU:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Phantom Civic said:
Don't use high compression with boost. Whatever you want to do with the high compression, boost will compensate for it.
Yeah, that would be true...if this was 1996.

This is what engine tuning is for. There’s no reason not to run high compression with boost if you can have your engine tuned...unless you don’t like more response and power.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I run 9psi on a y7/y8 mini me, which has ~10:1 compression, the thing absolutly rips! I was running the same setup on a stock y7 and the difference in the heads was amazing. It breaks traction when it flips at 5k, its awsome. I got right at 240psi in every cyl when I ran a comp test after the head swap, so it may be a little higher than 10:1. I am running an out of the box Phearable.net ecu, AFR holds at low 11's at WOT on my wideband, so its still safe. Excellent setup for a DD I think, high compression gives you more useable off-boost power IMO.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I say go high compression and turbo, you get the best of both world.

high copression will give NICE tq in the low but be more dificult to tune and need much better gas.

low compresion you can boost the piss out of it and get lower gas and easyer to tune, but the power when the sanil isnt spining :haha: .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw a vid awhile back about an 11.5:1 compression B18C with a GT28R (disco potatoe).

Thing was wicked fast.. I will see if I can dig up the vid.

It was amazing though because the turbo would spool SUPER fast from the compression.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
yup, thatswhat im talking about man!!

its not about how much power its how quicly and how wide spread you can get it to the ground.

its like those dyno qeen poopras, they may have 1500whp but thats only for about 1000rpm WAY up there. a car with a broad tq curve will kill that car with 1/2 the hp since all that supra will do is bob every time he shifts out of that 1000rpm way up top.

in other words, harder to tune but overall MUCH better if high compresion and turbo.

·
Registered
629 Posts
whatthehell1051 said:
ahaha lmfao that's great. funny shit
you'll believe it once you see it. ;-) i was running almost 10 psi at 10:1, but i keep breaking trannies so its turned down to 6 for the time being :mad:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sepheroth86 said:
I saw a vid awhile back about an 11.5:1 compression B18C with a GT28R (disco potatoe).

Thing was wicked fast.. I will see if I can dig up the vid.

It was amazing though because the turbo would spool SUPER fast from the compression.
:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: my car is being built for road course events, so having power when you want it is the main priority :TU:

i already have a car for going fast in a straight line :razz:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I want it, heheh. That thing would give my uncles 04' cobra a run for the money......maybe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts