Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So I new to boosting, But have researched. So I am thinking of boosting my D16A6. I am gonna get a manifold from ebay. From what I have seen looks like I should get a T3 or T4. APR Head Studs. Intercooler I already have along with coolant lines. I have a question though ECU. I have talked with some one and they said I need to change to ODB1. Is there any other mods I need ECU wise? This is gonna be my semi DD. I am trying to get around 200hp
So if there is anything anyone would suggest say so, new to the honda game.

Thanks Much
Choff

·
formerly allnaturalrex
4,639 Posts
p06 ecu off the 92-95 d15b7 civic's

td41u dizzy off the d15b7

obd0-obd1 ecu jumper

dizzy jumper

4 wire o2 sensor

·
Poop Sock
3,798 Posts
getting a tune is without a doubt the most important thing about going boosted. other than that all i can think of at the time provided you already have all the parts is dont go over ~220hp on a stock block. gl. so give us some stats. what type stuff are you gonna use?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
You don't have to convert to OBD1 but tuners like it more.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
4,639 Posts
You don't have to convert to OBD1 but tuners like it more.
very true he can stay obd0 and get his pm6 chipped to run turboedit that's a alternative. but too many tuners like you mentioned prefer obd1.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
getting a tune is without a doubt the most important thing about going boosted. other than that all i can think of at the time provided you already have all the parts is dont go over ~220hp on a stock block. gl. so give us some stats. what type stuff are you gonna use?
What do you mean by stuff? Stuff can mean alot of things.

Ok, so from my understanding I dont have to go to OBD1, but should. Turboedit Is that harder to work with?

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Ok So I new to boosting, But have researched. So I am thinking of boosting my D16A6. I am gonna get a manifold from ebay. From what I have seen looks like I should get a T3 or T4. APR Head Studs. Intercooler I already have along with coolant lines. I have a question though ECU. I have talked with some one and they said I need to change to ODB1. Is there any other mods I need ECU wise? This is gonna be my semi DD. I am trying to get around 200hp
So if there is anything anyone would suggest say so, new to the honda game.

Thanks Much
Choff
how about t3/to4e?
and its ARP headstuds

by stuff he meant wut brand/size turbo, intercooler, injectors, etc. ur hardware man!

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I've been using obd0 for years to tune my car and don't see any really benefits of converting and don't plan on it. Haven't heard or seen anything that would make me switch over.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Ahh welcome to the darkside I will give you some suggestions since I have a boosted A6 go ahead and convert to obd1. Not doing this cost me 600bucks and alot of downtime for the car. Most tuners prefer it and demand it. second like someone said obd1 ecu chipped and socketed non vtec distributor like stated earlier jumper harness and in 30 min your car can be obd1 its not hard what so ever. As for turbo since your going for such a low hp number I do not suggest a t3/t4 to big you want something like a straight t3 40/48 ,or a T2 flanged turbo or even look at the dsm turbos. Some 450's and a good tune and the rest of the odds and ends intercooler lines boost controller blah blah blah you will be on the road.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
I've been using obd0 for years to tune my car and don't see any really benefits of converting and don't plan on it. Haven't heard or seen anything that would make me switch over.
Take a ride in my car that might change your mind I could never get my obd0 shit to work right and the obd1 stuff has way more features and the car runs way smoother.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
I dunno what the hell your doing, but I've been able to tune my car just fine....

what's the problem exactly???
Trust me it wasnt my doing at all the program was just to unstable for my liking. After my WB went crazy and was giving me funky voltage for my simulated narrowband I could not get the program to idle the car for anything. Then there was the time where the tune changed by itself never figures that one out had to retune my boost maps. The program stayed giving me errors freezing and shutting down the list goes on and on. If I where to even think of anything obd0 it would be turbo edit. But I didnt go with that program........Plus could not get anyone to even attempt to tune it a few looked at my maps to help me out but that was about it. They all had horror stories as well.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
I dunno what the hell your doing, but I've been able to tune my car just fine....

what's the problem exactly???

Different tools is the main difference fellas...

Doesn't matter really, to each their own. I'm switching to obd-1 because I want my motor to run as close to stock as possible (z6 vtak yo!)

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
obd0 with z6 maps would be the exact same thing. you'd have to control vtec somehow but it would pretty much be the same.
Thomas, don't forget, I'm a "purist" lol...

shit, look at my engine bay:

I even have a useless tube on there ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahh welcome to the darkside I will give you some suggestions since I have a boosted A6 go ahead and convert to obd1. Not doing this cost me 600bucks and alot of downtime for the car. Most tuners prefer it and demand it. second like someone said obd1 ecu chipped and socketed non vtec distributor like stated earlier jumper harness and in 30 min your car can be obd1 its not hard what so ever. As for turbo since your going for such a low hp number I do not suggest a t3/t4 to big you want something like a straight t3 40/48 ,or a T2 flanged turbo or even look at the dsm turbos. Some 450's and a good tune and the rest of the odds and ends intercooler lines boost controller blah blah blah you will be on the road.
thanks see didn't know that, but do now. Yeah I also forgot injectors was planning on 450's.

Getting a Little confused. Some peole saying change but others don't. I don't know if I would have the money to change to OBD1. Atleast not for a bit got another project car that eats money faster than my girlfriend!:(

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
obd0 with z6 maps would be the exact same thing. you'd have to control vtec somehow but it would pretty much be the same.
+1 you can pretty much do everything you can do with obd1 with obd0, with the right tools.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
thanks see didn't know that, but do now. Yeah I also forgot injectors was planning on 450's.

Getting a Little confused. Some peole saying change but others don't. I don't know if I would have the money to change to OBD1. Atleast not for a bit got another project car that eats money faster than my girlfriend!:(
its up to you either way your chipping your ecu some have had luck some havent if you stay obd0 best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts