Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright! So I don't really post often. I've read the stickies under forced induction and have learned quite a bit. Here's my situation:

I bought a SOHC ZC with low miles and decided to keep on trudging with D-Series. So far I have compiled a list of things that will be necessary in order to successfully boost my car. If you all would be so kind as to check my list, and correct me if I'm missing something, I'd be much obliged.

I decided to buy an eBay turbo kit in order to get the tubing, oil-feed lines, drain kit, etc. It will also supply me with a down-pipe, not so spectacular manifold, and a starter-level intercooler. Right off the bat, I'm going to change my BOV. I'm thinking of a GReddy Type FV. I'm also going with a TiAL MV-SBK 38mm wastegate. I am going to purchase 450cc DSM injectors (blue-top), as well as a 255lph Walbro fuel pump. Changing the turbo itself will come a bit later. It should be a T3/T4. I want to see what quality I get with the kit I purchase. As for a basemap and ECU, I'm going to order from Xenocron. They wont struggle too much because I'm keeping the internals practically OEM. Chipped, basemapped PM6. I am about to purchase ARP head studs, and ARP rod bolts in order to beef up the weaker points. I already have a Skunk2 intake manifold, and will be purchasing a 68mm BLOX throttle body.
I have not forgotten spark plugs, or gauges. But these I could really use suggestions on. I know I have to go colder with the plugs, and I really have no idea what to start with for the gauges.

I'm not looking to build a monster. I want a daily with a little bit of pep, and I don't think 200whp is out of the question. Are there any components that I have missed that are vital, or will make my life easier?
I will be doing a compression test within the next few days, before purchasing anything.

Thanks in advance! :punk:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm not sure of what the stock clutch is capable of handling but I would imagine you need to upgrade there. You will need a tune for reliability, a base map wont cut it. Common gauges are wideband o2 and oil pressure.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
All you need is a boost gauge and or wideband , I'd recommend a wideband but its not always necessary as long as your tuner has one and hooks it up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all of the responses so far!

-EMUSA Turbo Kit
-GReddy Type FV BOV
-Chipped, Basemapped PM6 (will tune w/ dyno asap after installation)
-68mm BLOX Throttle Body
-Skunk2 Intake Manifold
-ARP Head Studs
-ARP Rod Bolts
-DSM 450cc Injectors
-255lph Walbro FP
-NGK 7s for plugs w/ the NGK blue wires
-TiAL MV-SBK 38mm Wastegate
-Wideband O2, oil psi, and boost gauges

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
hopefully you didnt buy an ebay turbo kit with the universal piping kit ( 90 and 45 degree piping bends), the intercooler is fine fro 2-300hp

·
Registered
795 Posts
And i believe the ebay kits dont come with dumptubes for the wastegate, I think they just dump into the engine bay dont they? Thats horrible for power. If you cant weld, buy the flange off ebay for $8 and have a muffler shop weld up a quick pipe for you routing the dumptube to the ground. Dumping it in the engine bay robs a ton of power (ive seen dynos prove 30+whp) and dumping it in the engine bay is a quick way to dirty EVERYTHING under the hood and possibly burn things in its way

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Kevin is right, you will need a dump tube with the EMUSA kit. I have one on my car, and I would suggest that you not use the supplied oil lines. I used an old Stealthmode kit, but I believe the site sponsors sell something similar. It is a better and smaller diameter oil feed line.

You will also need to get some piping and a filter for an intake.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone's been really helpful.
-Upgraded clutch added to list, although I am not sure what would be a decent starting point. That would be a thread in itself... but I'll research some.

-Dumptube installation leading to the ground. Can be achieved by purchasing flange and then welding tube on in direction of the ground?

-Multi-layer steel headgasket (I had figured something like this might help!) Although, I'm not all too sure on what thickness I should go with.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Everyone's been really helpful.
-Upgraded clutch added to list, although I am not sure what would be a decent starting point. That would be a thread in itself... but I'll research some.

-Dumptube installation leading to the ground. Can be achieved by purchasing flange and then welding tube on in direction of the ground?

-Multi-layer steel headgasket (I had figured something like this might help!) Although, I'm not all too sure on what thickness I should go with.
Standard oem head gasket works fine. Most get a y8 head gasket.
And an open wg dump will be loud just so you know. You can route it back into the down pipe but that would be more welding and fabbing.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
open wastegate is not that loud, an open dump tube is louder from what i hear. i ran open wastegate and it dumped right on my radiator fan shround and made it look all charcoaly.

notice my radiator hose an fan shroud

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
If you haven't already bought the turbo kit. I HIGHLY reccommend talking with Greg (go-autoworks). My piping and intercooler from Greg fit perfectly and he took the time to go over my plans so that I had the optimal piping setup for my build.

I haven't gotten any boosty bits from Bob (RCautoworks) but I can tell you that the customer service and workmanship quality are also top notch.

You cannot go wrong contacting either of them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go for an oem headgasket. they are the best IMO.

As for your clutch. I have the competition stage 4 unsprung clutch and I like it a lot. it isn't too stiff and is very easy to drive with in traffic. THE ONLY thing that bothers me about it is the chatter when taking off.

Theres a clutch thread on here somewhere with lots of advice and a poll.

Post pics of your car. Everything else on your list seems pretty decent!

·
Registered
795 Posts

Its not just your rad fan thats dusty lol, this is a perfect example of why to dump the wastegate to the ground. If you bring the $10 flange to a muffler shop they will easily whip up a 1.5" pipe to direct it to the ground. You also can pretty much do that last aswell, your car will run fine when you install the kit with no dumptube, just putt-putt your way to the shop after installing

The pipe is normally very simple for most setups with just a 90 degree and small straight section, nothing complicated that they cant fab and weld in 30 minutes, and the 1.5" pipe is stocked at all muffler shops. Be nice and grab (2) m8X1.25 1" bolts for them to mount it. Drive away happy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you haven't already bought the turbo kit. I HIGHLY reccommend talking with Greg (go-autoworks). My piping and intercooler from Greg fit perfectly and he took the time to go over my plans so that I had the optimal piping setup for my build.

I haven't gotten any boosty bits from Bob (RCautoworks) but I can tell you that the customer service and workmanship quality are also top notch.

You cannot go wrong contacting either of them.
I'm sending them a message right now. I haven't purchased anything aside from the intake manifold and throttle body. It's a good thing I asked before doing anything. Let's see what I can work out with Greg.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I would look into something other than the walbro pump..I've been seeing a lot of reported failures.. Which includes my self...

Hit up hi profile for some Injectors..if not just be sure to send them out to get cleaned and flow tested.

Things to consider..
Injectors- low or high impedance one uses resistor box. The other doesn't.

Depending on how much boost your going to run you may need to look into a map sensor

Address the pcv system.

It would also be wise to up grade the fuel pump wiring.

I think that's all my .02 is worth....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts