Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal.. I've got a 168k mile d15b8 in my car right now. I'm going to be turboing it very soon. I'm debating whether i should do rebuild and mini me, or just find a z6 and rebuild/upgrade it. I'll be shooting for 200whp. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
z6... ditch the b8... rods will most likely snap past 200 hp

edit: just saw that you were going to rebuild the b8... but i still stand with my answer... the longer stroke of a d16 will yield you more power under boost. and its is WAY cheaper to build considering finding parts for a 1.5 liter is hellaz hard

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
oooo hell ya... its fun blowing engines... if u wanna see major carnage ill show you pix of my last motor (b7 btw and the same size rods as yours... broke 2 of em... <-- in avatar)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
oooo hell ya... its fun blowing engines... if u wanna see major carnage ill show you pix of my last motor (b7 btw and the same size rods as yours... broke 2 of em... <-- in avatar)
so your pushing 10 psi on what motor, internals, blah blah blah you know the details mang.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
current or the one i blew 5 months ago?

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
i had my current turbo setup on my last engine as well and the wastegate is set at 9psi...

RIP d15b7:
9psi shifting into 5th at 120mph and poof. detonation. i ended up snapping 2 rods and blowing 4 holes in the engine block. after pulling the head, i found that piston 1 was sideways in the cylinder... it was actually quite cool to look at

2 months later jdm d15b vtec-e:
i installed this engine and put a rich basemap in and was running 4 psi give or take (bad boost leak) for about 2 months

2 months after swap:
bought a wideband (PLX FTW!!) and fixed the boost leak, and was running 9psi for 4 days while trying to perfect my tune, then i ended up frying my ringlands on all 4 pistons. the one thing i had forgotten to do was change to step colder plugs.

1 month later (3 weeks ago):
honed cylinder walls, installed new oem pistons, put turbo back on, set wg flapper so turbo only boosts till about 2 psi (didnt want to put too much stress on brand new rings) and as of a week ago, i took the turbo off b/c the mani cracked (3rd warrenty sscrap mani)... this weekend im putting the hf mani i acquired on and boosting back up to 9 psi (not forgetting the colder plugs this time)

hope i covered what u wanted to know

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
oh, and as a side note, this weekend in putting the turbo back on... AFTER i get emissions lol!

strait pipe FTW!

and if u ever wanted to know, honing and replacing pistons and ringlands may sound intimidating, but its actually one of the easiest things ive had to do with my car... i would say replacing my tranny was harder than replacing pistons lol...

ps. im on some hardcore hydrocodon right now so thats why im all being fucked up and typing so much right now... 1 tablespoon of this shit makes me feel like i just slammed 3 beers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
my friend ran 15 psi on a hmt setup on his b8

blew it under load shortly after, going up a hill in 4th at 80

next day swapped a b7 in, blew it at 7 psi with the 14b rather quickly (base timing all the way advanced on the distributor :( )

he is now running a d15b7 again with the 14b at 7 psi it pulls great in a sub 2000 lb car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like i'll be trying my hand at engine building.. going to pick up a z6 as soon as the junkyard gets one in. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Looks like i'll be trying my hand at engine building.. going to pick up a z6 as soon as the junkyard gets one in. Thanks for the replies
thats what I'd do
good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts