Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have all the parts and a chipped ecu turbo my stock d16z6 but i live in michigan and id have to go 1-2+ hours to get a dyno tune so is there a way i could use someone elses tune or a basemap SAFELY? Or should i just wait, build my motor and get it tuned professionally?

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
If the motor is healthy then you could install your turbo setup, check for leaks and ensure all piping is tight and leak free, then rent a trailer and tow the car to the dyno, if something goes wrong while at the dyno, you have the trailer to tow it back.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Been cover a million times.

Remove the wategate spring to stop the turbo from making boost.
Put in factory injectors.
Cruis to the tuner and swap injectors and put the spring back in when you make it.
Get it tune and drivr back happy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think you read it correctly but removing the gate spring would allow the turbo to over spin, very bad idea, its prob a better idea to take piping off after the intercooler so the turbo has some back pressure and you arent even building boost because your sucking in atmosphere pressure

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I dont think you read it correctly but removing the gate spring would allow the turbo to over spin, very bad idea, its prob a better idea to take piping off after the intercooler so the turbo has some back pressure and you arent even building boost because your sucking in atmosphere pressure
Wrong
Open wasgate wont let full exhaust to the turbo so it wont even spool up.
Just thing about an internal gated turbo with a crack housing it wont build boost.

Now removing the IC pipe will not have enough back pressure and the turbo will freely spool with given exhuast and no back pressure.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
removing the piping will only make the motor breathe normal. your turbo, however, will spool to the moon and grenade itself

if its an external wastegate, pop the spring out like above suggested.

if its internally wastegated, unbolt the actuator arm, and use welding wire and pull and tie the arm open so exhaust bypasses the turbo as much as possible.

but seriously, find a buddy who owns a trailer, or rent a uhaul 2wheeler and find someone with a truck.

no reason to bullshit your setup at the MOST important step of the build

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I drove over 4 hours to get my dyno tune done on my hx coupe, even boosted around on a basemap (for over a week before the dyno). The best thing I think is to get a good basemap and drive the car for a few days to a week before the dyno to make sure you have no leaks, if you have oil or coolant leaks they most likely won't let you on the dyno.

What ecu setup do you have? If you have neptune and demon I highly suggest you make a basemap yourself if you don't already have one, if your just chipped who did it? Xenocron basemaps are safe (like I said I boosted around for a week on a basemap even though it's not recommended) but I can't say much about phearable or any other basemaps. I don't suggest trying to make your own basemap with crome but neptune is simple and only took me like 5 minutes to get my car running good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove over 4 hours to get my dyno tune done on my hx coupe, even boosted around on a basemap (for over a week before the dyno). The best thing I think is to get a good basemap and drive the car for a few days to a week before the dyno to make sure you have no leaks, if you have oil or coolant leaks they most likely won't let you on the dyno.

What ecu setup do you have? If you have neptune and demon I highly suggest you make a basemap yourself if you don't already have one, if your just chipped who did it? Xenocron basemaps are safe (like I said I boosted around for a week on a basemap even though it's not recommended) but I can't say much about phearable or any other basemaps. I don't suggest trying to make your own basemap with crome but neptune is simple and only took me like 5 minutes to get my car running good.
To be completely honest i have not one clue how to tune what so ever, however id love to learn. I think after i build my car im gonna leave it n/a for the break in process then put my turbo on after 250-500 miles of babying it to get the rings seated properly, get it hauled to a dyno when i get the money :p

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,107 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts