Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting opinions or possible reasons as to why I got such low numbers when i boosted my z6. So here's a quick run down of everything. When I bought my ef it was already boosted. It had an a6 head on zc block, with exhaust ports gasket matched, msd cap, igniter and wires, stock injectors and fuel pump, stock internals. smoked and burn oil like a bastard. But I had 180 whp running 7 psi and a p09 chipped on Crome. So I swapped in a z6, stock internals also. I used everything else that I had when a6/zc was in. same turbo, intercooler, exhaust and intake manifolds. Couldn't use msd, but I put in 550 rochester injectors and walbro 255 fuel pump before boosting again. Used my p28 chipped it on Neptune. Anyway so I virtually had the same application. I took my z6 to reputable shop, a real shop and ran it 12 times on dyno and my results were 151.6 whp. And it was on one of those fancy dynos also, the ones attached to your hubs. So what I don't get is why the lower numbers than before? I asked around after tune and others have said should have gotten 175-220. I just don't understand why my numbers are lower than before when I put a better and healthier motor in. Even before the dyno, tuner said he expected 200 ish. After tuning he said it was running at 8 psi, 1 psi more than before. Before going I didn't have the chance to put my new boost gauge in and my old one was already out, but once I hooked up my new one, which is liquid filled to be more "accurate" my gauge shows me running 5 psi max, and believe me I redlined on highway thru each gear except 5th of course and it only went to 5 psi max. So can anyone tell me why I got such low numbers??? The turbo I'm using is an rb5 or whatever, a stock one from mx-6, but same one as before. It's not just the numbers, it doesn't pull now like it did and it's not as fast as before. Thanks

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
I am wanting opinions or possible reasons as to why I got such low numbers when i boosted my z6. So here's a quick run down of everything. When I bought my ef it was already boosted. It had an a6 head on zc block, with exhaust ports gasket matched, msd cap, igniter and wires, stock injectors and fuel pump, stock internals. smoked and burn oil like a bastard. But I had 180 whp running 7 psi and a p09 chipped on Crome. So I swapped in a z6, stock internals also. I used everything else that I had when a6/zc was in. same turbo, intercooler, exhaust and intake manifolds. Couldn't use msd, but I put in 550 rochester injectors and walbro 255 fuel pump before boosting again. Used my p28 chipped it on Neptune.

Anyway so I virtually had the same application. I took my z6 to reputable shop, a real shop and ran it 12 times on dyno and my results were 151.6 whp. And it was on one of those fancy dynos also, the ones attached to your hubs. So what I don't get is why the lower numbers than before? I asked around after tune and others have said should have gotten 175-220. I just don't understand why my numbers are lower than before when I put a better and healthier motor in. Even before the dyno, tuner said he expected 200 ish.

After tuning he said it was running at 8 psi, 1 psi more than before. Before going I didn't have the chance to put my new boost gauge in and my old one was already out, but once I hooked up my new one, which is liquid filled to be more "accurate" my gauge shows me running 5 psi max, and believe me I redlined on highway thru each gear except 5th of course and it only went to 5 psi max. So can anyone tell me why I got such low numbers??? The turbo I'm using is an rb5 or whatever, a stock one from mx-6, but same one as before. It's not just the numbers, it doesn't pull now like it did and it's not as fast as before. Thanks
See what I did? Makes it easier for everyone.

Have you checked for any leaks? Could be an exhaust leak, a boost leak. If your only showing 5lbs of boost and had 7 or 8 on your other setup I'm going to say its a leak or you need to crank up the boost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
See what I did? Makes it easier for everyone.

Have you checked for any leaks? Could be an exhaust leak, a boost leak. If your only showing 5lbs of boost and had 7 or 8 on your other setup I'm going to say its a leak or you need to crank up the boost.

I may have an exhaust leak at the cat delete pipe rite now but I didn't for sure when on dyno. Where would I get a boost leak? Also I don't have a boost controller and didn't before.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i do know the turbo you are using, its an ihi vj-11 and they are tiny.

i had one on a mazda 323gt, they have the same engine as a miata, but set up fwd and factory turbocharged. on that car i only made about 150 - 160 whp with the same turbo at 17psi.

those mx-6 turbo only made 145 hp at the crank on 7 psi.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
I may have an exhaust leak at the cat delete pipe rite now but I didn't for sure when on dyno. Where would I get a boost leak? Also I don't have a boost controller and didn't before.
Could be from a coupler, or a gasket between the turbo and mani

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i do know the turbo you are using, its an ihi vj-11 and they are tiny.

i had one on a mazda 323gt, they have the same engine as a miata, but set up fwd and factory turbocharged. on that car i only made about 150 - 160 whp with the same turbo at 17psi.

those mx-6 turbo only made 145 hp at the crank on 7 psi.

Yes it's a tiny turbo but it's the same one I had on old motor and I got 180 whp with it at 7 psi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This.. Did you dyno it personally the first time, or were you told it had 180

I did not see the dyno sheet from first tune only told. But either way whatever the numbers were the first time doesn't really matter. It pulled a lot harder, rather significantly and was faster before. So whatever it was before it was more.

And danz as far as local yes but won't say name here.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
did your buddy time it by the book...i just found out my car was timed incorrectly as z6's are timed different than most d-series. i suggest asking your buddy specificlly how he timed it. z6's get time by a mark on the timing cover NOT like most d-series that are timed by making the dashed line up with the head

1 - 20 of 32 Posts