Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Im new to the site and i am looking to boost a obd2 d16y7 here within the next month. Its going to be a low budget build and plan on running on 6-8 psi. I have the kit in mind that i am getting but just wondering what i should do about the tune on the car. Never messed with it to much and i live in bfe and only know of 1 guy in town that has chrome to be able to tune it for me. Anyone know what else i might be able to do that would make the car reliable on a good street tune?

Thanks

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Anyone know what else i might be able to do that would make the car reliable on a good street tune?

Thanks
Yes, you could not turbo it. Glad we could help! :bigok:

·
Registered
91 Posts
The word reliable comes out of the picture once you start doing mods to your car. Think of it like a dog losing a leg and you having to work with it to learn how to be able to do most of its things with those 3 legs. The dog will never be the same, same thing goes with cars lol. As far as budget, the truth about going turbo youre still going to dump close if not more than 1k into piecing it together on getting anything from a better clutch to making the engine able to withstand the extra pressure from the turbo without it breaking on ya.

Goodluck bro!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what all would be a suggestion if i run 6-8 psi on the car. I was told to go with at least 370 injectors and a wideband to tune it on. Im thinking about getting Matt shue to do it as he seems pretty reputable.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
check the build threads in showcase. Your learn more on what people are running and what works.

But a few things.
Do you have emission where you live? Also note that d16y7 p2e uses 190cc injectors not 240cc. Its obd2 so you have to run a piggyback (aem fic would be the only one to work right) or convert to obd1. The y7 intake manifold is crap. The exhuast manifold has the cat build in so you might be looking at buying another cat depends on emissions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hp id be happy to make 200 or less. Im really not building it to be fast i just wanna have a nice clean setup that would be semi reliable. And yeah i am converting to obd2 and getting rid of that crappy manifold for more then likely a y8 manifold. And thanks for all the help and suggestions. o and no emmision's where i live as of yet. and it has a dc sports header unfortunately but only one i could find for a reasonable price in a one piece style header.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you mean to say you are converting to obd1? If so I have never used crome, but I have used Neptune and s300 and imho Neptune is a great alternative for the price. Although it is still 450 for the demon and license. It's does everything my s300 did though. And the guys @ hrtuning.com are more than happy to help

·
Registered
988 Posts
-Use a D16Y8 intake manifold and convert your harness to run a 2 wire IACV. Y7 engines and ECU's run off of a 3 wire IACV.
-Use an OBD2-->OBD1 conversion harness and run a chipped P06 ECU. No chipped OBD1 ECU will work with a 3 wire IACV. Dont quote me on that, but ive never heard of a car tuned with a 3 wire IACV.
-Get your car dyno tuned. If you cant find one locally, keep searching. Even if that means going to a next state over. Trust me, it will be worth every single penny.
-If you cut corners on a turbo build, you will pay for it later.
-Yes, I did say that 3 times.
-Reliability and street tunes should never be in the same sentence.
-You can turbo a completely stock engine and still have good results.
-Ignore people that say eBay kits suck and will not work. Yes, you get what you pay for, but youre paying almost $1000 so youre getting something decent. I had absolutely NO problems with eBay turbo kit.

and I like how you want your set up to be semi reliable. Why would anyone want their set up to be semi reliable?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
-Use a D16Y8 intake manifold and convert your harness to run a 2 wire IACV. Y7 engines and ECU's run off of a 3 wire IACV.
Auto 6th gen's run 3 wires, Manual 6th gen's run 2 wires. If you're gonna spoon feed the n00bs get it right.

And yes Ebay turbo kits are a crap shoot, sometimes they're ok sometimes they suck, but there's plenty of justified hate just do a quick search.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Auto 6th gen's run 3 wires, Manual 6th gen's run 2 wires. If you're gonna spoon feed the n00bs get it right.

And yes Ebay turbo kits are a crap shoot, sometimes they're ok sometimes they suck, but there's plenty of justified hate just do a quick search.
My car is a 6th gen.
My car is manual.
My car has a 3 wire IACV, from factory.

Care to explain that awebb?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Ok so I was slightly wrong, Y7's and Auto D16Y8 both use 3-wire IACV and Manual D16Y8's use 3-wire IACV's.

And no you still shouldn't be spoon feeding the n00bs.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ok so I was slightly wrong, Y7's and Auto D16Y8 both use 3-wire IACV and Manual D16Y8's use 3-wire IACV's.

And no you still shouldn't be spoon feeding the n00bs.
You arent slightly wrong you were wrong. But its no big deal.

Not exactly spoon feeding him, just giving a hand like many people did on various forums when I had questions. We were all n00bs at one time that made stupid threads about a question thats been beat to death. Why be hypocrites and shun away every new guy that does it as well??
Telling em to search is fine, but damn you guys are dicks about it.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Thats y I try to help but sometimes u vet tge same question asked like 3 times n tge same day as nd it gets bugging. And really when the question is "i wanna turbo what do I need to do?" Now if u looked for a min and see what ithers have done and then asked something like. " I got x motor and want x hp, which turo is better. What tuning is better. And is this part list good?"
That would be a better question. But anyways I help the best I can and try not to be a dick. We were al noobs at one time.

And to the op good luck with the build. U can cheap out on parts n have them break or cheap out on tune and blow the motor. Ir get good parts and run itike it was stock ir damn near like it.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
You arent slightly wrong you were wrong. But its no big deal.
Slightly wrong would imply that there is some truth in my statement, being wrong means that there is no truth in my statement. It is true that Auto 6th gen Y8's have 3-wire and Manual 6th gen Y8's have 2-wire. Hence why I said slightly wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well thanks for the information that i got from you guys. I think im running a god speed turbo from a buddy that has a business account set up with godspeed that he can get a 1 year warranty setup with it for $750 total. Im running a 43/48 hopefully so it will spool quick. And im guessing a good tune on neptune through matt shue for $450 would be my best bet as there are slim pickens where i live and they guy i know probably screws 3 out of 4 cars up from what ive heard. And all of you were a good help except for the other guy on her which was about as much help as a dick that cant get hard.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
Even if he has a 3-wire iacv it's pretty easy to convert over. 1 new connector, swap 2 wires on the ecu harness. It's onFF squad

·
Registered
988 Posts
Thats y I try to help but sometimes u vet tge same question asked like 3 times n tge same day as nd it gets bugging. And really when the question is "i wanna turbo what do I need to do?" Now if u looked for a min and see what ithers have done and then asked something like. " I got x motor and want x hp, which turo is better. What tuning is better. And is this part list good?"
That would be a better question. But anyways I help the best I can and try not to be a dick. We were al noobs at one time.

And to the op good luck with the build. U can cheap out on parts n have them break or cheap out on tune and blow the motor. Ir get good parts and run itike it was stock ir damn near like it.
If you see the same thread over and over everyday just ignore it.

Slightly wrong would imply that there is some truth in my statement, being wrong means that there is no truth in my statement. It is true that Auto 6th gen Y8's have 3-wire and Manual 6th gen Y8's have 2-wire. Hence why I said slightly wrong.
It doesnt matter if youre wrong by an inch or a mile, being wrong, is being wrong.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
It doesnt matter if youre wrong by an inch or a mile, being wrong, is being wrong.
Sheldon Cooper said:
Sheldon: More wrong? Wrong is an absolute state and not subject to degradation
Stuart: It's a little wrong to say to say a tomato is a vegetable, it's very wrong to say it's a suspension bridge.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts