Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1127 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So in my last project with this chassis i was recently farting around with NA and the SOHC to see if i could get 13's... I got close but 14.0 was my best! Check it out here... http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/137595-danz-d17-n-build.html (edit; finally ran a 13.9... lol!!)

Long story short it just was too loud, and too slow. I mean, if it was super fast and that loud, it would be so worth it! Or super quiet and that fast, it would be very workable. But just too loud.. NA cars suck for this.

So whats the best way to go fast and be quiet?! Turbos!!

I started off with some D15B2 forged rods I got from FJT a while back to test for him. Unfortunately the car I was going to use them in got sold so the motor got sidelined...

FJT seems to have come on hard times at the moment but we are all rooting for him to come back. So i ask if you want to build one of these Vitara d15b2 motors, buy your rods from him when he gets back on his feet!

So hopefully with this setup i will be able to run 11.5's all day on 22" slicks. i got an extra zc 3rd gear and a STD 3rd for 4th, and i also got a spare OBX lsd i got for stupid cheap (its about 6 years old IIRC so it should be "a good one").

fuel is an in tank Bosch fuel pump. i plan to test out a water injection system that is powered by boost pressure. we will see how/if it works.

The head is going to be a PM3 non-vtec head with a colt tri-flow stage 2. (more on the head to come)

Intake manifold will be either z6 or y8 still trying to decide...

for the turbo, i had a genuine garret t3/t4 50 trim .60 ar comp, .63 ar turb, but i had to sell it to get some extra funds a little while back. but luck would have it that i got this old ebay turbo i bought 4-5 years ago back, still brand new!! (i think its gonna be "one of the good ones" that holds together). if it blows up ill try and rebuild it because ive never done it and i want to try. and if that doesnt work ill buy something genuine again when i have a bit more money to spend.

anyways heres some pics from it first going together!

one piston in!

all done!

nice and flush

im going to use the OEM d15b2 crank pulley! also going to use a lightened flywheel.

heres a pic of the Bosch fuel pump going into the tank! it was a beefcake and hard as hell to fit! i had to use CV boot straps instead of hose clamps to keep it on the cradle.

edit; credit to Ednyn for the writeup for putting these pumps in tank on EDs!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
next on the build list was getting the head in order.

i had to get a decent compression ratio with these vitaras and the PM3 head. so what does a cheap guy do? finds a machinist who will knock off material until a c-hair before the valve seats.

it should be around .080 or 2mm... which will give me somewhere around 9:1 CR.

sad, isnt it? lol.

anyways i had terrible luck with the PM3 head in the past so i decided to change the shape of the ports quite a bit. meh we will see!! i tried to emulate the z6 ports as much as i could with what i had to work with.

stock

you can see ive removed a lot. this is the "rough shaping" stage.

after putting in hours of work

significant roof raising action on the exhaust side as well as a port taper to hopefully create a low pressure zone outside of the port. who knows?! haha

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then i started working on the combustion chamber

these pm3 heads have these crazy protrusions around the valves that i cant imagine help flow at all. considering the z6 head doesnt have anything like this, i decided why not knock them down.

after hours of filing and extreme care with sanding rolls and dramel, then 400 grit finger busting fun... it came out good. check the pics out.

i wasnt 100% anal about not knicking the edges of the combustion chambers sealing surface because i plan to take 2mm off of the head. so if u dont plan on doing that be SUPER careful when working on the combustion chamber.

just starting

then i put my head down and this is what happened

And with that, the head is ready to go off to the machine shop for the deck job, the 3 angle valve job, and a broken exhaust stud removed! also guides probed and replaced if necessary.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next on the list was the exhaust manifold.

what to do? im sure some of you have read me bitching and complaining like a little whore about how small the engine bay is on an ED. and how id never build another one.

well, i thought about that a bit... i realized it wasnt the ED that was the problem it was my lazy fabrication and stupid half rads! fuck half rads!! and fuck aftermarket fans!!

so my goal was to build a setup that i can fit a turbo that will support 400whp and fit behind a 100% stock ED rad (maybe even an integra upgrade or thick aluminum) and use a stock rad fan.

the only catch with this setup is im 99% sure you will need a traction bar.

oh, another requirement was being able to use the stock ED front mount!!!

at first i intended on using a T25 or 14B so i made the collector a little smaller than usual. but it ended up kinda helping in the end...

i made a new jig to cut collectors.

darin and i kinda got busy and started tacking shit up... then remembered to take pics after. doh!!

but you can see the collector exit is kinda small for the t3 flange... oh well. the collector is very short to help with the oil drain (more on the oil drain later)

then, after learning a lot about welding thick pipe/tune after doing a few roll cages, i got the welder dialed in and laced some REALLY strong and clean welds on this mani. i dont think it will ever crack. here it is PRE-wg.

heres a closeup of the weld i thought was the best of them all.

heres the manifold all finished up!!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heres with everything bolted up! the WG will clear everything and the turbo is approx 8" from the front off the block at its furthest part, which according to my measurements should give me around an inch of clearance from the rad!!

now the tricky part is going to be, how the hell am i going to do an oil drain with the turbo so low?? thats always the problem with mini rams. they put the turbo down so low!!

so i had to get creative. i didnt take pics, but what i did was i took a piece of 5/8ths .065 wall tube, cut a shit load of slits into it with the band saw, then pinched it in a vice to bend it. tacked it up, then just went over the whole thing with the welder.

i had to make my own flange, so its a 1 piece unit thats not adjustable. but thats ok but its going to work mint!

last but not least i started working on this throttle body a while back

its a 62mm, tb mounted map... i bell mouthed the inlet so it will work kinda like a mini v-stack with the silicone coupler.

also, in anticipation for water injection in the future, i o-ringed the throttle body shaft after seeing a how-to on here for it. i also drilled two holes into the TPS housing recess in the throttle body to allow moisture to evaporate.

ill get better pics of the TB soon

and thats where im at!

i still need to pick up an intercooler, fab up my hot side charge piping, and weld up my extra 1g DSM bov.

ill probably use my dsm 450s for now. and crush an OEM FPR for some more base pressure.

the plan is to try and recirc the BOV and also dump the WG into the exhaust. i want quiet and fast! but i have been known to get lazy...

cold side charge piping is basically done because of my 2.5" CAI in my car now!

·
one grumpy old man
786 Posts
finally we have something to do at the farm.

Reactions: FarmerD

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
your a dick. make me want to say fuck the n/a stuff and go turbo again... whata dick!

cars dope, i love the under car build. soo sick and should shred knowing you loL!!!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont know but that turbo looks to low for that manifold. i had a similar problem and mine was higher. blew tons of smoke at idle. switched to a ramhorn and things are looking great
check out pics of the oil drain! already a step a head of ya :D

turbos actually higher up on this setup than my front mount or darins front mount and neither of us smoke. i think its gonna be a-ok! if it smokes i bet its gonna be the jank ebay turbo!!

also a side effect of running a d15b2 in the chassis it came from means i am legal for a lot of classes in racing i should be able to dominate with some decent HP.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks sick!

Shoulda did this 5 months ago, and forgot the 13.99 dream :p

1 - 20 of 1127 Posts