Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i was thinking that my AEM Tru Boost controller was what was causing my compressor surge but after messing around with it ive eliminated it. im thinking my turbo or maybe its the bov...opinions?? its doing it at around 18psi and up here is a video of my car and also one of a skyline that did the same thing...not sure if i need to go to an anti surge housing or not...

boost surge on my civic

boost surge on a skyline

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
a buddy of mine would have compressor surge at low rpms under load but when in higher rpms it would clear out. all he did was change the tune a bit and cleared it all up.
idk if yours has something to do with tuning but its a thought.

what BOV are you running? could be taking a poop

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Il ask him exactly what he did but I know his problem was that the vac maps and boost maps werent mixing right. Idk if that makes sense.il ask tho I'm on the way to his house actually

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What turbo?
ching chong to4e t3/t4 .60/.63 57trim

after doing some research, im coming to the conclusion that i need an anti-surge housing for this turbo...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see so its sorta like filling up all the engine space and its leaking backwards threw the housing?
exactly. what is happening is when your turbo hits a certain psi its sucking in so much air so quickly that your engine cant take it all so the pressure is pushed back through the turbo causing it to surge. which is why i think i need to go to a anti surge housing...

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
560 Posts
exactly. what is happening is when your turbo hits a certain psi its sucking in so much air so quickly that your engine cant take it all so the pressure is pushed back through the turbo causing it to surge. which is why i think i need to go to a anti surge housing...
hmm what turbo are you using and what power are you pushing? when does it spool?

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
If that's the case, can't you use the BOV to 'bleed' boost pressure off?
Or configure a boost controller to drop boost at/around that RPM?

Isn't there two kinds of surge?
1) When the turbo is sucking more air than it can take in (bumping into surge line on comp map)
2) When boost is flowing backwards out the turbo compressor (like if you don't have a BOV).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If that's the case, can't you use the BOV to 'bleed' boost pressure off?
Or configure a boost controller to drop boost at/around that RPM?

Isn't there two kinds of surge?
1) When the turbo is sucking more air than it can take in (bumping into surge line on comp map)
2) When boost is flowing backwards out the turbo compressor (like if you don't have a BOV).
correct which im having problem 1) When the turbo is sucking more air than it can take in (bumping into surge line on comp map)

which is why i need to go to the anti surge housing...it increases the surge threshold.

·
Registered
39 Posts
imma say turbo..bov wont surge under boost just releasing boost pressure...im gonna say try a diff turbo (sux i know) and see what happens if not this first then try the tune like the other guy suggested if it dont clear then def gonna be turbo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts