Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright before i start getting bagged on about not researching, i did and didnt quiet find what i was looking for. So i got a 94 del sol SI with

D16Z6
75.5 vitaras
FJR I-beam rods
ACL race bearings
Skunk2 IM
AEM fuel rail
Skunk2 cam gear
stock cam
supertech valve spings stock retainers
Speedfactory 4 bar map
Ls throttle body
880cc percision injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump
JDM sport T3/T4 turbo .50 trim
TurboXs boost controller
Hondata S300

and im currently running on 14 psi at 298 HP

I was wondering if it would be safe to turn up the boost to about 17 or 18 psi to get a lil more power. i just dont want anything to blow. i heard stock sleeves can handle about 400+ hp so im not worried about that. i am more concerned with internals. any info will help. thanks ahead of time guys!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
dude.... no.

UNLESS YOU GET IT TUNED FOR 17 OR 18 PSI, YOU WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP.... you didnt search very hard man, thats just common sense.

not trying to be a dick...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dude.... no.

UNLESS YOU GET IT TUNED FOR 17 OR 18 PSI, YOU WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP.... you didnt search very hard man, thats just common sense.

not trying to be a dick...
so what you're saying is that i have to re-tune it to run 17-18 PSI i cant just turn it up. SpeedFactory in el paso tuned it on 14.5 PSI.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
if it was tuned on 16 psi then yes you can turn it up to 17 or 18 psi.. but you really dont see much of a difference to tell you the truth from 16 psi.

since you are running S300 the way the fuel tables are set up, it goes from .05, 4.0, 7.9, 11.9, 15.8, 21.7 and 27.6 psi.

if you go over those tables (like you are tuned on 16 psi, you will be in the 21.7 psi cell on the fuel and ignition tables. so you should be perfectly safe turning it up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if it was tuned on 16 psi then yes you can turn it up to 17 or 18 psi.. but you really dont see much of a difference to tell you the truth from 16 psi.

since you are running S300 the way the fuel tables are set up, it goes from .05, 4.0, 7.9, 11.9, 15.8, 21.7 and 27.6 psi.

if you go over those tables (like you are tuned on 16 psi, you will be in the 21.7 psi cell on the fuel and ignition tables. so you should be perfectly safe turning it up.
it was at 16. but then we turned it back down to 14.5. and i wanted to turn it up to 17. he left it at 14 because the motor wasnt broke in all the way yet it only had 480 miles

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

wrong, on so many levels. the boost tables are almost ALWAYS changes, and you dont just jump from one to the other, the honda ecu pulls from both cells. for instance if they were left as you describe and you hit 17-18psi it would average the 15.8 and 21.7 cells, which we have no clue what it would do. they could have left those cells alone since they didnt need to tune them, in which case it could be extremely lean/rich. not to mention the timing is likely untouched in the cells.

its not worth it, if its tuned up to 16psi turn it up to that, dont go above....or atleast dont get our advice on it, call up speedfactory, they will tell you the same as me though. matter of fact PM JFK on here..

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
a good tuner would have already pulled timing out of all the maps for one. for two, iv had first hand experience turning boost up from 18 to 21 with zero problems (with concent from tuner).

since it will run in the 21.7 psi cell aswell then you would be adding fuel up in that area aswell. if nothing else, check it with a wideband. but you should have no problems going form 16 to 17 or 18. even with you running at 14 psi right now you still have a tune up into the higher numbers.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
all of that is based on ASSumption......

as a tuner myself i will tell you NOT to ASSume anything about ANY tuner. i know tons of tuners that will put boost cut at say 10psi, anything above boost cut IS NOT TUNED one bit.

why would you assume timing is pulled and fuel is added? just because it should be?

i wouldnt risk my motor on ASSumptions, and i wouldnt recommend anyone else to do so... nothing you say will make it correct to assume its safe to add even 1psi...

did you look at the graph? the AFR for the 14.5psi run is there, obviously not the most conservative tune in the world.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i guess i just know my tuner, iv had more friends be happier with his tunes than T1's... so whatever, im not going to argue.. its going to be like argument over hondata vs neptune... there just isnt a point.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
all depends on the tuner. Tuning for higher then what the customer has is a waste of time and could also mess up there motor if they arent build for it.
Now some tuners might say well hell ill tune it for the map break. i.e .05, 4.0, 7.9, 11.9, 15.8, 21.7. what slok said. So if your running 5psi you could be tuned for up to 7.9

but as schardbody and i will say it assume nothing. only know and learn the truth.

IMO i wouldnt turn up crap till i knew i was ready/tuned for it.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
If you were tuned to 16 psi and no more, don't risk your motor by turning it up. If you want to run higher boost, take it back to your tuner and have him tune for it.

It's not worth losing an engine when you are oblivious to what tuning was actually done.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
im almost posative speed factory is the same as every onther dyno tuning facility.....retunes are pretty damn cheap....he already put in the hard work, going back to retune for 5psi will take him just a couple pulls and only a few minutes

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you were tuned to 16 psi and no more, don't risk your motor by turning it up. If you want to run higher boost, take it back to your tuner and have him tune for it.

It's not worth losing an engine when you are oblivious to what tuning was actually done.
x2

save up the extra pennys for a tune and do it the proper way before you lose every thing you built..i dont think you wanna start over and spend more then what you really hadda

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when he tuned it he put a boost cut a 18 PSI because we were having problems with the wastegate and it was over boosting to almost 23 psi. all the info is great and i understand what you guys are saying so thanks for looking out. im just gonna try and get ahold of them and ask if i need to take it back for the retune. thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts