Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Boost problem.... Fixed. Update on second page.

So recently this problem just showed up and I can't figure out what it is. When I run 17 psi it builds boost just fine until about 5000 rpm then from 5000 to 6000 rpm the boost guage flutters and I can hear a pulsing hiss comming from under the hood. It doesn't really loose a lot of power, but you can tell it's not pulling like it should. Then once it hits 6000 rpm it cleans up and pulls hard and smooth again. I checked and made sure all the vac lines were on and clamped, and I've tried adding a little timing and closing the gap on my plugs. I'm stumped. Could it be a problem with my boost controller or wastegate? I'm leaning toward the bosst controller. I took it apart and didn't see any issues, but I don't really know what to look for. It's a turbonetics BC. I've been running it for a year no issues. I noticed this problem shortly after installing my new bullseye turbo. I had an E-bay 44 trim. Any ideas? I'd like to go to the track tomorrow.

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Downpipe had to be modified. I did have a problem with the turbo leaking oil when I first got it, and I installed a restrictor to solve the problem. However after going to the track last night, I think it's leaking again. I'll have to check tomorrow. Other than the turbo and downpipe, no other changes were made. The boost controller does seem to be working right. I wonder if I need a bigger wastegate spring? I'm running an 8 psi spring at 18 PSI, but that's only 2 psi more than double, and it does it at 15 psi too.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
How does the fuel and timing map look at that rpm? how about the 2d view?

only other thing I was thinking was the effiency of the turbo at that rpm.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
If you can hear it, maybe its something dumb like your waste gate or some how your bov?

Can you get some one to rev your car for you, then you get out and look at it so you know where its coming from?

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How does the fuel and timing map look at that rpm? how about the 2d view? Timing and fuel all look good. I tried adding and pulling both fuel and timing with no change.

only other thing I was thinking was the effiency of the turbo at that rpm.
The turbo should be just fine as for efficency. bullseye 57 trim shouldn't have a problem at 6000 rpm between 15-18 psi.

detonation or plug blow out
I see no signs of detonation, although I did try pulling timing with no change. I closed the gap a little more to 22 thous. No change. But this really doesn't feel like an ignition issue. I had misfires before from plug blowout and you could feel kind of a roughness to it. This feels more like boost fluctuating. It still pulls, just not as hard and the guage bounces and I hear the pulsing his.

what plugs and gap?
Plugs are BKR7es and gap is 22 thous.

If you can hear it, maybe its something dumb like your waste gate or some how your bov?
I'm beginning to think the wastegate is the issue. 8 psi spring and a little more than double the psi. Plus it's a knock off tial. I think with this being a larger turbo than my last one it can't handle the cfm.

Can you get some one to rev your car for you, then you get out and look at it so you know where its coming from?
It only does it at high boost, so it needs a load. I guess I could get it on a dyno if it comes down to it.

I'm going to pull the wastegate apart on sat. It's raining now and I work late tomorrow.

By the way even with this problem it pulled a 13.4 at 114 MPH on falken ZEIX 915's. Plus I suck at driving.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
as for the oil smoke, make sure your oil drain is pimp-diggity.

no kinks, as smooth as possible, always on a down angle.

most journal turbos wont need a restrictor if their drain is adequate.

it should be a MINIMUM of 1/2inch ID, i prefer 5/8ths and would run larger if i could.

edit: for shits and giggles, get some new plugs and gap them to .014 and see what happens.

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I got this turbo I switched from 1/2 inch to 5/8 and I don't think it could be at a better angle. It goes straight down a couple inches and then 45 degree to the pan. These are new plugs. Maybe a week old. I'm gonna get in contact with autoworks about the warranty for the turbo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts