Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so Ive got a d16z6 with 196xxx on the motor. A buddy of mine got a SWEET deal on a bunch of shit and wants to sell me a new Turbo kit that was meant for a prelude for $300 its a T40E .50 trim
(all I would need to get is a exhaust manifold) to have a complete new in box kit.

Im not trying to push the limit too much as this car is my DD and only way to get back and forth to work. But I would like to hit between 200-250WHP when its all said and done. I also dont plan on going over 8-10psi on boost

But here are my setup plans

550cc injectors (he also has a set of those for $50)
ARP studs
WAlbro 255 fuel pump
Bisimoto HG-not sure about thickness yet 75mm, 75.5mm, 76mm??
6 puck COMP clutch
Chip my P28 and tune it with Chrome

other than that it will be all stock internals

My main ? is will my motor be able to handle it? It has high miles and I dont have the $$ to do a complete rebuild, but I do plan on building a Low Comp D later on.

You guys think Ive got a pipe dream or is this a realistic goal???

also which thickness HG should I go with? I was thinking the 76mm to bumo the compression down some but Im not all that savvy when it comes to tuning and shit....But I can BUILD anything!

THanks guys

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're gonna have to do some more research. I figured I'd tell you before some of the senior members get on here and chew you out for asking a question that has been asked to death. Lol. But from what I've read a bunch of times is that with a stock bottom end 200 is a safe limit considering you have a good tune. I still don't know if those numbers are to the crank or to the wheels. I've also read about a lot of people putting down a lot more power then that with a stock engine but who knows how long it'll last.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
usually 200-220whp is the safe limit but its more about the torque that causes problems down the road, although i have seen a few guys around here push 250-300whp on a stock block but who knows how long it will last. i would stick with an oem head gasket since i have heard there the best option. your motor should be fine but maybe do a leakdown test before installing the turbo, i installed my turbo on my last civic at 182,xxx miles and i made it to 215,xxx with not one problem until my car was rearended and insurance took it.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
33 Posts
If it's an `ebay turbo kit' I don't know if I'd pay 300$ for a kit that isn't even meant for your car.

Your stock z6 can handle your goal or close to it as long as it's done and tuned right.

One thing you seem to be confused about is "Bisimoto HG-not sure about thickness yet 75mm, 75.5mm, 76mm??".. that number is not the thickness of the head gasket, it's the bore size.

You seem to have a decent clue as to what you need to research and do, just keep [re]searching and then ask your questions and you will figure out the things you need to know.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Use a y8 OEM headgasket on your z6 its the same thickness and mine was $40 cheaper than the z6 gasket!

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Lol on the hg thickness.

It's the bore size.
Also by what you said the turbo is I'm guessing it's an eBay kit.
Also note the manifold won't fit a d motor.
But seems like you might be on the right track, just search around and get a feel of what others have done

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Don't worry about 75, 75.5, 76mm Hg you're on stock internals and the bores itself will not change. Bisimoto Hg? I'm not sure about any significance by running bisimoto hg thicker mls or whatever, do yourself a favor and get a y8 oem headgasket "cheaper" then call it a day. Realistically you wouldn't want to push a stock block more than 200whp if you want reliability out of it. Keep it at around 175-190whp however much boost it takes to get you there. Remember, psi doesn't mean shit as small turbo compared to bigger turbo produces different numbers at the same psi. Lastly, tuning is everything so make the person that will be tuning your car knows what he is doing.

I remember my first stock z6 turbo cookie cutter build and it was a blast! Good luck with the build you will find all the answer on this forum if you just dig a little deeper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is an ebay kit, and I am fully aware that the manifold will not fit my d16. Im gonna get a cast iron manifold when I have all my exact measurements.

I should also mention that Im not in a hurry to do any of this. Ive been researching for awhile now and only reason Im trying to jump on "buying" the kit is b/c he literally got it for nothing. 98 Prelude with a completely built motor (I cant remeber all the part names off hand) along with all the OEM parts, a Zex wet kit the turbo kit for $1760.
Some guy cheated on his wife and she sold his shit. oops!

My bad about the HG.. I havent been able to find a whole lot about what works best with my "setup" Im still new to Hondas....but Im not a retard and can figure things out with a little help. I literally have NO idea (yet) when it comes to custom specs on a motor, on how to know what works best with what.
But I learn a little bit every day and thats about the best I can do with 2 kids and a business lol.

$ isnt the issue, as long as I dont get in a hurry. problem is I got 2 cars and 1 is my wifes. until Iget her something bigger and can park my civic a motor rebuild is kind outta the question. I work too much and just dont have the time to do it fast AND right.

So I guess Ill get a y8 HG and call it a day, and until I do a vitara build Ill keep it under 200whp.

Anyone in NC have a suggestion on tuners? theres a shop called Majestic here in town but they fucking suck hairy gorilla ballsack and Im not giving them my $ for a shit job. Im willing to drive if their work is good.

Thanks guys for the input, Ill be sure to keep updates on how it all goes

Thanks again Xile6

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.