Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to boost my civic. I have the y8. Thinking greddy kit but maybe a custom kit.

Question time: With the right fuel amounts, and good driving and running 6-8 psi (intercooled), will it be safe enough on my engine.

I want the extra power but want reliablity as well, I dont want to blow the engine every two months. The car has 120k on it, but runs perfectly.

Any suggestions or comments.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Right fuel and tuning you will be fine!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Convert to OBD1 get P28 ecu and tune w/ Chrome!
Check out PGMFI.org for more info.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't really feel like switching the ECU's.

Is the Drag kit any good, for a bolt on unit?

Also, with the boost controller, will I be able to just turn the boost down for daily driving to save on gas and be safer on the engine?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question. A Greddy vs. Drag question

The Greddy has the e-manage, but no intercooler kit. I can get the Greddy kit and IC kit for $2,300 Shipped to my door.

I can get the Drag kit for $1,800 shipped to my door which includes a IC kit.

Are both truely bolt on and plug and play, or will I need more parts?

O

·
0 Posts
greddy has a programaBLE EMANAGE AND CAN SUPPORT UP TO 300 wheel power

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a y8 boosted and with the proper fuel set up and tuning you would be fine on 6-8 on stocked internals but make sure you run a colder spark plug my car is a prime example i had the motor boosted for 2 days and it blew but its getting rebuilt now with a beefed up bottom end

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
berettagtz117 said:
Convert to OBD1 get P28 ecu and tune w/ Chrome!
Check out PGMFI.org for more info.
x2, you don't feel like swapping ecus? that's the gayest comment ever. you will get an awesome, reliable tune with and obd1 ecu running crome, noob. look into it, it's well worth your time. good luck

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jimmy, I added the price of an IC kit to it.

Is the drag kit a good kit guys? I am not looking for 300hp. Just some extra pep and a nice sound! I am just looking to save some money right now. I am on a budget and could use the saved for other mods like the custom exhaust

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm running the greddy kit on a y7 with a y8 mani and it's running pretty nicely. The only add on you'll need is a blow off valve. As far as the ic goes, with the greddy kit you'll need new ic piping to go along. Instead of spending the money for an ic right off the bat, I'd say spend it on a good stainless exhaust. You'll get a better bang for your buck in terms of performance gains...

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
drag is definitely a good kit, but it sounds like, for what you want, the greddy kit is a better buy. if i remember correctly, drag uses an fmu, which is a big no-no.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
If you want a complete kit for a Y8 without switching ECUs to get good management, go with the Edelbrock. Amazing quality kit. Comes with turbo, manifold, dp, piping, front mount, BOV, intake manifold w/secondary injectors and fuel management. I think it is ~$3000, but it is everything. Just add a clutch and you should be good.

Check my sig, I ran 15psi daily on a Z6 for 20k mi then sold it. It's still going strong, and the kid abuses it daily. Anything is possible on a good tune (well, almost anything).

·
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!
1,892 Posts
just stick with the greddy kit... it will suit your needs for what you want and is easy to install...

dont get the greddy intercooler kit tho... just get a johnny racecar intercooler and some piping and you are good to go

1 - 20 of 21 Posts