Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, i know everyone here (or most anyway) are for manual trannys, and i am wanting to do a tranny swap and boost, but i really dont have the time or money for both, and i want boost more, so my question is, as long as i keep it no more than like 8-9psi, and no more than 200hp, and drove normally (no stupid revving and racing peoples every time im out), would things hold up alright with the tranny left auto?

EDIT: not sure if this will really do any good, but here is a link to the tubo setup i have in mind.... http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63625

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are gonna drive how you say you will, its gonna be fine and you'll make cool bov noises lmao.

na it should hold up just fine as long as it doesnt have a mil miles on it or been seriously abused through its life, but ill say burnouts and reverse doughnuts should destroy it quick. aka dont do!! lol

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol...well heres what i love about the Civic i was lucky enough to get...ok, its a 2000 model, got it late 02, with around 18k on it....and currently, has only 56k...rock....so that answers my question about tranny reliablility lol....but i know it wont put as much to the ground as a manual, and i will still do the swap, just not for a while, just going for a fun daily driver for now anyway, then later maybe upping the boost for more power

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, if i keep the auto tranny for now...what about ECU and fuel management...can i still run that chipped p28? or will i have to go with a different path?

·
Registered
736 Posts
The easiest way will be an FMU or Piggyback system since those can easily be run safely with a little tuning on a low boost set up, you won't be able to do a chipped ecu because it is auto.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah ok, thats waht i was thinking, but i wasnt sure if i was wrong on that or not, thanks though...and what are some suggestions of the FMU or piggyback...where is the best place to get them, what kind of price range we lookin at?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the 200whp is more of a goal for after i do the tranny swap, i know for now its not gonna happen, id be happy, as well as suprised, to hit about 150 or a little more on the auto.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i'm in the same boat as you whether to boost or get a tranny swap i got a 2000 ex wit 61k miles on it. I decided on a tranny swap and i'm in the process of getting the parts for it. Personally i think that its better to get a tranny swap first. Especially if your going to want 200hp. And it seems like a waste of time and money to get your auto ecu chipped when your gonna have to get a manual one and chip that for the tranny swap. And if you want a fun daily driver like you said, you will probably have more fun with a manual civic than a boosted auto one because you cant drive it the way you want. Not telling you wat to do or anythin just givin u my $0.02. Good luck wit it.

·
D-series WTF?!?!
3,674 Posts
anything is possible with Honda bro i think u can push a lil more with a lil tune just dont get greedy or the tranny will shit on u all day!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Interested in the same thing. People say autos cannot be turboed, but I see turboed automatics (older Supra's etc), so its definitely possible....

I'd be interested in a cheap 6psi kit...I just want lil more power. But 200HP on an automatic is pushing it...But 150HP seems fast enough for me :D

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
MikeD16Z6 on here has an auto tranny turbo 95 civic. It's tuned using Crome.
It's pretty fast and the tranny has been holding up pretty well.
One thing he did was put an EXTERNAL tranny oil cooler on. The tranny slips a bit at 10psi, but it's still fast enough to take WRX's from a roll.
We're going to be swapping him over to a manual tranny this year for when he gets the bvuilt block in.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well things have changed, im wanting to go for the 250hp range now, so im doing the tranny swap, along with internal work and such, so that i can push more boost and make more power, i figured if im gonna put money into a boost setup, im gonna make it worth it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Some of you guys are retarded.

Yes, an auto will be fine up to 200whp. I have driven and/or have personal knowledge of 3 auto Civics, turbocharged, one of them was up to 12psi with an AEM EMS. There is no reason why a turbo can't make as much power as a manual for the same build. If you're concerned about your auto tranny, you can install an atf cooler.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Some of you guys are retarded.

Yes, an auto will be fine up to 200whp. I have driven and/or have personal knowledge of 3 auto Civics, turbocharged, one of them was up to 12psi with an AEM EMS. There is no reason why a turbo can't make as much power as a manual for the same build. If you're concerned about your auto tranny, you can install an atf cooler.
your a retard.

the same civic with the same turbo, engine ems and boost level the manual will be faster.

12-15% drivetrain loss for a 5 speed and 25%+ loss for a auto. it adds up to be alot of lost hp for the auto. now were not even talking about the different gear ratios.

i used to own an automatic turbo civic before i converted to manual. The 5 speed is so much better for making power.

·
Registered
854 Posts
research i've done here:

"basic info in integra/civic trannies:
http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?t=13058&highlight=automatic
OBD2 civic info:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61462
obd2->obd1 accord conversion:
http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?t=6934&highlight=
the long and the short of it for civics (no TCU, the ECU controls the trans):
the trans controller is in a separate part of the board. socket the ECU as normal, and use the ROM editor of your choice to reprogram the engine ROM. if OBD2, you need to convert to an OBD1 auto trans.
for integras/accords (with external TCU):
socket ECU as normal, keep/get OEM TCU for the engine and trans you are running, then reprogram ECU as normal
as always: heat kills auto trannies. if you are even considering boosting an auto trans car, first mod should be a trans fluid cooler."

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
guys relax lol, it doesnt matter anymore, as i stated above im going through with the tranny swap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts