Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so as im going through all the different aspects of my car and planning ahead as to what all parts i will want/need. I have been thinking a lot about my exhaust.
My plans are to boost a D16z6 and push about 300whp. I'm going to fab up my downpipe etc etc. When it comes to my exhaust thought (i.e. b-pipe and axle-back) I am still debating. I have a mugen twin loop already on the car and Friggin love that exhaust I really REALLY dont want to get rid of it. But I am not retarted and know that running a 60mm exhaust is not really the best idea for a boosted motor, atleast not when it comes to making power.
So, what i was thinking and trying to plan out was maybe a way to run a 3-inch exhaust from the downpipe back to the axle-back area where it could buy a tapered piping section going from 3-inch down to 2.38-inch and use a cutout right before the tapered section for when I wanna get on it..
I know it sounds like a lot of hassle just to keep the mugen but I really like the way it sounds. I had also debated finding a 2.5-inch twin loop and just using it with the tapered section and ditching the e-cutout idea.
Let's get some opinions guys and a little info for why you say yay or nah.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would just long a LONG taper from 3" to 2.38" as close to the muffler as possible... And skip the e-cut.
That is a good idea... If you want to combine everything all into one, this is the best approach. It WILL be restricted in some sense but at least it will only be for a foot or so instead of a step down of 3-4 feet. Also, would be cheaper

·
Registered
645 Posts
hey buddy, I have a full catback Apexi WS2 exhaust and i wanted to keep my car quiet. I turbo'd my d16z6, i had a fab shop do my downpipe. I am using a QTP 3" exhaust cut out, But my whole catback is 2.5" piping, so what my fab shop did was make the downpipe to a 3 inch dump, welded a 3 bolt flange, i bolted up my cutout to it, and then he welded another separate pipe onto the downpipe and it went straight to my test pipe which connected to my stock exhaust, Here is what it exactly looks like.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5416/precisionturbo4.jpg

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/8995/precisionturbo3.jpg

:TU::TU::TU::TU::TU::TU::TU::

·
Registered
645 Posts
^ nice setup man. wat are you gonna do about the tune? with the 3" dump the spool characteristics will be different than when it runs through your whole exhuast system.
yes the spool is so much different than the cutout being open, im getting it tuned with the cutout open, im not gonna beat on it when the cutout is closed, im just gonna baby it

·
Registered
645 Posts
^--How long ago did you get this done??
probaly 2 weeks ago. Fab shop did it for $310 without using a flex pipe, he cut out my 2 bolt flange from my downpipe on my header and just welded it on to the end of it and it bolted right up to my test pipe. I love having a cutout because i can just open it and it sounds nice but when a cop is behind me i close it and its hilarious because their like wtf i just heard a loud car lol, i love fucking with them

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
What are you tuned on? If you are using a ecu with a chip, you can get a 2-timer chip, you can put 2 dif tunes on it. You just flip a switch you can mount anywhere, like with your e cut out, to switch between the tunes. You can flip it at the same time as the cut out.

·
Registered
645 Posts
What are you tuned on? If you are using a ecu with a chip, you can get a 2-timer chip, you can put 2 dif tunes on it. You just flip a switch you can mount anywhere, like with your e cut out, to switch between the tunes. You can flip it at the same time as the cut out.
using hondata s300, and my shop would probaly charge more to do 2 tunes,

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
It wouldnt be hard or take long to do a quick retune of the map with the cutout close(ex going threw the smaller pipe). But you'd need a laptop to switch between the 2. Would br worth it if you ran at the dragstrip on the reg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts