Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so last night i picked up my new car. its a 1990 eagle talon tsi. it was pushing 15psi on the way home and the same with last night. however i noticed that when the owner took the recirculation hose block off piece out it was still at 15, but when i blocked it off and drove it the car will now only run around 5 psi. so im pretty sure its leaking somewhere and im wondering if anyone in the area of delaware has a boost leak tester because this has me worried.

thanks guys and i know this is a d-series site, but i figured some turbo gurus might be able to help

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
alright so last night i picked up my new car. its a 1990 eagle talon tsi. it was pushing 15psi on the way home and the same with last night. however i noticed that when the owner took the recirculation hose block off piece out it was still at 15, but when i blocked it off and drove it the car will now only run around 5 psi. so im pretty sure its leaking somewhere and im wondering if anyone in the area of delaware has a boost leak tester because this has me worried.

thanks guys and i know this is a d-series site, but i figured some turbo gurus might be able to help
uhh....

keep the BOV in recirc mode, its not meant to vent to air.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how big of an air compressor do i need? and how would i go about doing it?

haha yea its recirc now, but it wasn't before and it was running just fine. this kind of stuff is new to me.

·
154 Posts
you only need enough to make 20psi of pressure most compressers do 80+. Just make sure you turn the a/c off before you release air into pipes or ull never hear leaks, or youll be dumping lake michigan on them to find the holes

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
hahahahah

me and my friends built the same thing for our fucked up 1g auto...

good luck, you'll need it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
alright i found a diy on a tester

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

so i guess ill be trying this tomorrow..hopefully its something small and easy
Problem with that is you need to know how much psi your putting inthere. Last thing you want is to put 50psi in it on cheap/ebay coupler, or only put in 6psi and not know for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Ive got a 300ZXTT project car, 7-10psi max is recommended for the Z, I dont see much of a reason why it would be any different for a DSM. Theres a guy on the TTZ forum that sells boost leak testers for Z's and DSM's for $20 or so, complete with gauges and your choice of air fittings, when I get home Ill post the link. Or you can make one yourself as already suggested, but shit...for $20 I wouldnt waste the time making one.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Problem with that is you need to know how much psi your putting inthere. Last thing you want is to put 50psi in it on cheap/ebay coupler, or only put in 6psi and not know for sure.

i always use a radiator pressure tester.. u just get a 3inch coupler and put a 2 inch t bolt clamp on the end of the tester and calp the other end to the turbo inlet.. squeeze the trigger till it gets to the desired psi on the guage on the tester and listen for leaks

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright well the one i posted...would it work? im only going to but like 13 psi in there because it was set at 15. the thing is i noticed it after i took off the tube so i get a feeling i might of cut something on a clamp or pulled too hard and something came loose.

·
Registered
838 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Good idea, Bad price $2,495.95
I know. thats why i said go to a shop that has it. T&R lets me use it for free. I dont know about the shops your way. cant imagine them charging no more than $5 to use it..

the smoke machine will find even the tinest boost leaks. even though i was getting my desired boost pressure at that time (10psi) it wouldnt hold it to redline. it would drop about 3 psi. I had boost leaks from intake manifold fuel injector o-ring, internal wastegate diaphram, BOV, hairline crack on an old vaccum line and throttle body gasket. they were all little leaks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts