Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a problem here..i got a d16z6 making 254whp at 0.9bar then i increase the boost to 1.2bar and it make 271whp and then i increase the boost to 1.3bar today it just made 276whp.

by the trend i don't think i could increase the power further by adding boost..what is holding me back?

i see quite a number of people on this board are making close to 400whp on stock head at about 25psi/1.7bar

motor is a z6 vitara with custom length rod, turbo is a china GT3582 compressor hybrid to a genuine Garrett center body and T3 stage3 .63ar exhaust turbine. i don't think the turbo is the limiting factor

air fuel ratio is tuned to 12:1 on 0.9bar, 11.5:1 on 1.2bar and 11.2:1 on 1.3bar..i can post the ignition map if needed.

the motor seems to stop making power with increase boost which i don't understand..

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Wait, what is the problem exactly?
I see a very small increase in boost with a very small increase in power. Im not sure what you expected would happen...

You went from 1.26 bar to 1.30 bar, which is not much, AND it was measures on different days, AND its on a fucking dynojet. In other words, dont worry about it. Those numbers are inaccurate.

On another note, I really hope you havent been tuning on that dyno.

EDIT:
Also, How is it even possible to make so little power with that amount of boost and that turbo? You must have the worst tuner in the world. Not to mention the fact that its disgusting to see a GT35R making 250hp. That turbo should not be used for less than 500hp.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait, what is the problem exactly?
I see a very small increase in boost with a very small increase in power. Im not sure what you expected would happen...

You went from 1.26 bar to 1.30 bar, which is not much, AND it was measures on different days, AND its on a fucking dynojet. In other words, dont worry about it. Those numbers are inaccurate.

On another note, I really hope you havent been tuning on that dyno.

EDIT:
Also, How is it even possible to make so little power with that amount of boost and that turbo? You must have the worst tuner in the world. Not to mention the fact that its disgusting to see a GT35R making 250hp. That turbo should not be used for less than 500hp.
first of all, the shop owner is sponsoring the dyno time so naturally i went to them for dyno. if dynojet is so inaccurate like you said why would so many tuning shop still use them?

the tuner is myself, this is my first turbo build so im asking opinion why the motor is making so little power with this turbo on 1.3bar. btw it is tune on ron95 gasoline. i choose that gt35 compressor for my future upgrade.

You might also wanna get larger cc injectors if you to reach 400hp.
Yea your turbo is too big and get some 880 injectors for your power goal. Also why such a big turbo?
yes i will change it out soon. for this power level the 510cc injectors still have some room to go.

What kind of timing u running, hows the car run other than out of boost?
the car run fine out of boost and it is my DD. this is the timing map. let me know if it is no good. for some reason the map read slightly off so i written the boost column in red.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dynojets are cheaper and not considered better than other brands/types. It's a tuning tool, though, so I really couldn't care less that you are using one.

What leakdown is the engine showing?

i dont have leakdown tester with me..however compression test show 170-180psi across all the cyl. Is this normal?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I think your plugs are gapped a bit wide. You may be pulling to much timing as boost increases but it's hard to say.

Your exhaust backpressure might be to high.

Your IAT might be getting to high.

Your inter cooler might be choking flow.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think your plugs are gapped a bit wide. You may be pulling to much timing as boost increases but it's hard to say.

Your exhaust backpressure might be to high.

Your IAT might be getting to high.

Your inter cooler might be choking flow.
Exhaust is 3inch bend down at hand brake location..

Iat..let me check..

Intercooler that might be the problem! Im using some cing cong cooler thickness is 65mm.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Your boost tables are pretty dang conservative.

Im only running 10.4psi. well i was. At my top end tables im at

16.50* up till 4k <=== befor vtec
20.50* till redline from there

looking at your map your 8* retarded from where my ignition timing is set. so id say work your timing back in.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Ignition map is too conservative. That being said, I still dont see how you can be 100hp short of what you should be making, especially considering that youre on the most optimistic dyno in existence.

But anyway, Inertia dynos are useless and dangerous for tuning. They are common because they are a fraction of the price of a real dyno and because most people dont understand what the problem is with them.
They were designed for motorcycles, which are very light and have a small frontal area, so the weight of the drum is enough to simulate real load. For a car, it is not.
This means you can tune a car more aggressively on the dynojet than you can on the street.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pull in the gap increase timing. Add timing till you see a drop in torque, then pull a little out as sort of a "safe" zone. Drop in compression with the vitara pistons will make the motor take a good amount more timing to find mbt.

What fuel is this on?
Make sure your base is set properly as well with a timing light.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ignition map is too conservative. That being said, I still dont see how you can be 100hp short of what you should be making, especially considering that youre on the most optimistic dyno in existence.

But anyway, Inertia dynos are useless and dangerous for tuning. They are common because they are a fraction of the price of a real dyno and because most people dont understand what the problem is with them.
They were designed for motorcycles, which are very light and have a small frontal area, so the weight of the drum is enough to simulate real load. For a car, it is not.
This means you can tune a car more aggressively on the dynojet than you can on the street.
i still don't understand why it is making so little power on 1.3bar beside being suggested by pat..

will try retune the timing..

Pull in the gap increase timing. Add timing till you see a drop in torque, then pull a little out as sort of a "safe" zone. Drop in compression with the vitara pistons will make the motor take a good amount more timing to find mbt.

What fuel is this on?
Make sure your base is set properly as well with a timing light.
fuel is ron95 equivalent to US 91 octane..dizzy is set correctly at 16 degree

does plug gap affect power output that much? what gap should i run on ngk 5671a-8?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts