Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it sits right now I can't build boost in 1st gear. Turbo is a 42 / 48 on an A6 is this normal or can I attribute this to boost leaks?

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
damn you got another problem. You should build boost at first gear bro. When do you hit boost normally? How big is your turbo?

·
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn you got another problem. You should build boost at first gear bro. When do you hit boost normally? How big is your turbo?
Turbo size is above.

Boost starts 2200-2500 in 2nd gear.

·
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
thats not that uncommon

i think ur motor just climbs to quick in 1st gear so u dont tend to notice it. are u saying no positive boost at all. is the a6 vtec if so when is ur vtec engagement at?

·
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats not that uncommon

i think ur motor just climbs to quick in 1st gear so u dont tend to notice it. are u saying no positive boost at all. is the a6 vtec if so when is ur vtec engagement at?

Well yeah, I mean my BOV does go off a little in first, so I guess a little but it can't be anymore than 1 or 2 psi. I just expected that boost would come on quick in first gear.

A6 = no-tec

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
During normal driving I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't make boost in first. There's not a lot of load on the motor. It's spinnig up quick. Im sure if you sat and launched it it would make boost.

My old 57 wouldn't even come close to making boost, my current 50 does, but nothing "major"

·
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
During normal driving I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't make boost in first. There's not a lot of load on the motor. It's spinnig up quick. Im sure if you sat and launched it it would make boost.

My old 57 wouldn't even come close to making boost, my current 50 does, but nothing "major"

Cool thanks man:TU:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
shit i make boost in first but not in normal driving i can bearly hear the bov when i driving normal

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
I thought a turbo spools by back pressure. Or exhaust pressure. If you are building boost at say 3500 rpm in 2 and 3 gear, wouldn't you be building boost at about the same rpm in 1st gear. True, the 1st gear is shorter, but pressure is the same regardless in any gear. If I am wrong, can someone please explain it. Turbos spool on the speed of the exhaust exiting the engine, rather the mani. Right?

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
You should be building boost in 1st. Even with a larger turbo, I build boost in 1st WAY too easily (then again, it's a different motor..however the same concepts apply). You stated the other day that you had some boost leaks. Are those fixed and/or are seeing a full 7psi in 2-5th gears? Is it holding @ 7psi, or fluttering?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
if you are getting full boost in 2-5; i'd just say you aren't giving it enough throttle soon enough.. if you were to launch and go WOT, you should feel the torque, but the boost gauge might not register before you let off to shift to 2nd... with the short-ish 1st gear in my z6, i usually launch ~2500rpm @ 75% throttle (to avoid wheel-spin), and i will only see boost if i floor it...

creativepunka is correct; you have more load on the longer gears, so you will spool at a lower rpm

·
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You stated the other day that you had some boost leaks. Are those fixed and/or are seeing a full 7psi in 2-5th gears? Is it holding @ 7psi, or fluttering?
Boost in other gears is consistent and steady (until I blow a charge pipe off).

·
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
are you using a boost gauge?
No I have mystical JDM mind powers tha allow me to communicate with my turbo telepathically....lol.

Yes, I'm using a boost gauge.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts