Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again guys! Getting near the end of my built turbo build. Have a pretty good handle on how I'm going to run all my vacuum lines and coolant lines now. Just a quick easy question about the boost gauge vacuum line. A buddy of mine has an aftermarket IM on his B18C turbo and told me it's best to run it straight to the IM but he has multiple ports for that where my stock IM doesn't. I was going to just T it off of the FPR.

However, I just realized tonight I deleted my purge solenoid valve and won't be using one. Is there any reason I couldn't use the open nipple on the back of the IM for the purge solenoid for the vacuum source for my boost gauge? It would save me from having to block it off too which would also work.

Logic tells me this shouldn't be an issue but I couldn't find any information online about anyone else doing it so maybe there's a reason people don't that I don't know about.

Thanks guys!

In case anyone is wondering which nipple I'm talking about,

Stole this guys pic online of it.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Damn, I've been teeing off my FPR and reading this thread made me realize that I have an unused port in my manifold for a dedicated boost gauge line. Doh

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A 3/8ths line to a vacuum log manifold would be ideal.

The brake booster and pcv valve both use 3/8ths line. With a turbo setup you are not going to want your pcv valve connected to the manifold without a stronger one way valve

Thanks for the info guys. So If I'm understanding you correctly, you're basically saying the nipple for the purge solenoid valve would be too small to give an accurate reading to the boost gauge and it's preferable to use a larger diameter hole like the brake booster or pcv valve.

I did think about those two ports but I was planning on using the brake booster T for my BOV and I'm already using my PCV port for my boost solenoid which I have a T in already as well going to my waste gate.

Hmmmm

Damn, I've been teeing off my FPR and reading this thread made me realize that I have an unused port in my manifold for a dedicated boost gauge line. Doh
I'm gonna guess and say you're being sarcastic and don't approve of my idea, lol

It would probably work just fine. Better than T-ing off anything at least.
yeah exactly. Trying to keep the T's to a minimum if all possible.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Taking a vacuum source from a spare nipple will be fine, i take a vacuum source from a 4mm nipple on my volvo and it works great.

Your thinking about it too much.

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
Behind the intake manifold at the purge solenoid nipple is where I have the boost gauge connected to. No issues after 2 years.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That line that you highlighted is where I plan on putting my line. I believe that is/was connected to the cruise control on my setup (which I removed) and capped off that line. Perfect location for a boost gauge hookup!

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
I have my vacuum source for the boost gauge attached to the purge solenoid nipple. Been working just fine for 5 years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you guys all rock. Thanks very much for the info and confirmation that it is working well for you guys that have also used it for your boost gauges.

One less thing on my check list to worry about lol

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Trust me $20 on a vac. Log manifold will make your life easy. For my setup i had a 3/8ths line from the manifold to the vac. Log manifold. A 3/8ths line from the log manifold to the bov. Then i had 3/16ths IIRC feeding my electronic boost controller, 2.5bar map sensor, and boost gauge. That only left one open spot. With a turbo setup the need for vacuum sources grows and you dont want to keep adding t's. It was also nice that my skunk2 manifold had an extra 3/8ths vacuum fitting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts