Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I had to race a Magnum Hemi today. So I turned my boost up to about 20 psi. All seemed fine until I got on it hard (in the race) and it cut out on me. I have colder spark plugs from autolite, a map chip (phearable - John Vega) with no boost cut, and a 3 bar map sensor. Anyone have any ideas of why it may be cutting out? :surrender:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found this browsing:

Turbocharged to 15psi, supercharged to 10psi, NA up to 12:1
NGK 7173 R5672A-8
Gapped to .020-.025

Turbocharged 15psi+, supercharged 10psi+, NA 12-13:1
NGK 7405 R5672A-9
Gapped .018-.022

Turbocharged 650+, Boosted with Nitrous, NA 13:1+(Race gas only)
7942 R5672A-10
Gapped .013-.020

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, just found out my turbo was actually maxed out. Thanks anyways guys for all your good knowledge and facts. Ill tell yal when it blows up tho

You guys wont hear from me for a while. Most of you guys are dicks.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What boost were you at? I doubt that the turbo running out of its efficiency would cause a miss fire. Usually the engine will just lose power and the car will lay over bad. IMO ;)

One thing I see when I tune customers cars and change them from a base map to a fully tuned map is the ignition table will be very conservative. This is a good thing because on a base map you don't want to run to much timing until you get to the dyno and or the track to start doing some real tuning. Because you stand a chance of killing the engine.

As a example on a recent turboed D16 I just tuned, the customer told me he had a miss at 4800rpm to 5200rpm and only in second gear. I went to the ign. map and saw that the timing was at 8* in the area of cells of 4500rpm to 5200 rpm so I change it to 10* and the miss-fire went away.

It was a miss caused from not enough timing.

Plus I have seen when you change from a hotter plug to a colder plug you can get a miss fire from not enough timing. But just 1* or 2* will clean it up.

Food for thought.

Edit:
One more thing if your engine is running very rich in which base maps are usually set up at this will also cause a miss-fire when going to a colder plug.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You probably blew out spark. Efficiency range will end up making like a blow dryer and make hot air after the fact. Not cut out. I used to get boost cut on rich or lean spots. Mostly a drastic change... so the turbo maxing out at 100 of thousands of revolutions stopped moving air causing a boost cut?

Just because they are laughing at your for boosting 20psi on a basemap doesn't mean they are dicks. We all know better than to do that. The problem is when someone makes maps over and over and over again they start to get close to making a good running map because they are putting a slightly changed and perfected map on everytime they burn it.. ie- everyone out here that has a 14b setup on their civic gets my concervative basemap and its cheap. Most kids even have widebands and they run fine... (obviously this is local cheap guys and same elevation. I loan out my wideband.) Its easy to help someone local so maybe borrow one if you don't have one. Your chipped. Get a glo shift wideband for 189 and a burner and show everyone your the man or something...

We are talking small boost.

Its your fault if you have those gauges and didn't keep an eye out for weird stuff... during missfires your wideband will freak out. Best bet would to gave shut down asap right after the missfire and read the plug. That would have been all you could do...

Atleast have seen if there was a warning of rich or lean condition.. falling fuel pressure or something worse. Just because it didn't blow up doesn't mean its ok... if it did that at 20psi. Is it safe at say 12. Or is the ramp the same and its slightly rich enough to cause lean sputter but that's well above 13.5:1 in some cases. Goodluck. Sounds like you may need it.. if you search we all know not to fuck around with something that we don't know about...

I would say live and learn. Don't toss your motor...

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Nope, just found out my turbo was actually maxed out.
doubt that. it would have to be a very small turbo for that to happen. it would have to be smaller then a 15g in order for that to happen. what turbo are you doing this with, cause i am interested to know if you really are dumb enough to try to make big power on a small turbo...

Most of you guys are dicks.
:lol: this is the internet. dont get your panties in a bind of what is said.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Nope, just found out my turbo was actually maxed out. Thanks anyways guys for all your good knowledge and facts. Ill tell yal when it blows up tho

You guys wont hear from me for a while. Most of you guys are dicks.
cuz we are giving you advice to your problem and you dont like the answer being you need a tune:dots:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im on a 60 trim t3/t4 - boost was maxed out. 25psi. Car didnt blow up. And if it does. Lets remember how much z6 cost....like 100 bucks? Im looking for a tuner to do greddy emanage in florida.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.