Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm toward the end of my parts list and I have a question on boost control.

I was wondering if I should go manual or electronic? What are your experiences?

For manual I have read that these brands are among the best:
-hallman
-turbosmart

For electric I have only research blitz racing's electronic boost control.
-SBC-i-D SPEC-R

any opinions? may help others deciding as well.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Depends on what you need.
Manual is basically just for upping beyond the spring pressure.
There is manuals with and electronic high low. (Basically you can just hit a switch and flip the pressure)

Then the other electronic ones are pulse type. You can turn the gain up and adjust on the fly.

Imo it's not all needed.
I would just have 2 tunes and 2 settings for high and low.

But to each his own

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It basically depends on how much boost you want to run and if you want to change it (which I see no point to). I wish I could find a mbc that goes above 30psi, but they won't (as far as my experience). I don't want an electronic boost controller, but it looks like I'm going to have to get one.

Do you have the s300? The boost solenoid that you can get for it is the best way to go, but my s300 doesn't have the added diodes and shit, and I don't really wanna mess with it.

I had a mbc when I was running at 23psi and it did its job. And that was just a piece of shit that I made.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It basically depends on how much boost you want to run and if you want to change it (which I see no point to). I wish I could find a mbc that goes above 30psi, but they won't (as far as my experience). I don't want an electronic boost controller, but it looks like I'm going to have to get one.

Do you have the s300? The boost solenoid that you can get for it is the best way to go, but my s300 doesn't have the added diodes and shit, and I don't really wanna mess with it.

I had a mbc when I was running at 23psi and it did its job. And that was just a piece of shit that I made.
I am getting the s300 yes. are you talking about the hondata boost solenoid?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the advice.
so it looks like mbc is the way to go.
I do not see myself needing to switch boost on the fly. Although it would be nice to have a dd setting and a setting for when that mustang pulls up next to you. =p

·
Registered
369 Posts
A MAC EBC, which is what most of the three port rebranded EBC's are, is $30-35, plus $10-20 in components to modify the ECU to do PWM out. So for $50 you can tweak your boost levels with actual numbers, not just trying to write down and mark the number of turns, or have the guess work. Plus you can do boost by gear, which is great for the street. Or you can buy a hallman MBC for $100, and have none of that.

IMO, there is no reason to spend 2x as much for 1/2 the functionality. Get an EBC.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
you can also boost by gear by rpm with the s300, a form of traction control if you dont want to be so precise with your foot.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I'd recommend either a turbo xs or turbosmart manual boost controller, we've never had issues with either of these units. If you're interested we sell a complete package with mbc, boost by gear solenoid and hondata s300, as we use these daily we keep these in stock as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd recommend either a turbo xs or turbosmart manual boost controller, we've never had issues with either of these units. If you're interested we sell a complete package with mbc, boost by gear solenoid and hondata s300, as we use these daily we keep these in stock as well.
I'm interested, is the s300 the new one with blue tooth?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts