Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d16y7 in an 88 ef hatch it has a mitsu 13g turbo charger on it with a 14psi spring from what i am told. Right now I just got it running again and i want to limit the boost to like 5 psi due to stock tuning and half a tank of cali 87 in it. I have a very basic manual boost controller (90 degree hose connector with a checkball and a bolt.

I just installed it after it hitting 10-12 psi on my initial runs. I installed it inline between the manifold and the wastegate. i installed it with the bolt out (displacing the checkball and creating an air leak).

here is my issue (possibly due to install error as i have never installed one before) after installing it i did another run and it went to the same 10-12 psi momentarily.

is it possibly installed incorrectly or do i need to have the checkball blocking the air passage?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok after watching a video it seems that I might have misinterpreted what this does, it looks like this is to increase boost above the wastegate spring pressure.

is there any way to drop boost/lower the spring pressure other than a different spring?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
if the internal wastegate is adjustable then you will have to adjust that to lower the psi your turbo will put out. if not then you must get a lower psi internal wastegate

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
off the top of my head, no i dont know.

·
Registered
Sl2,Cx Hatch
646 Posts
Idk what to say about the Boost issue, But Drive the Car OUT of boost untill the 87 is gone re FIll. with "93" or w.e oct you want to tune on. GL

·
Registered
Tacoma and crx
106 Posts
Mitsubishi turbos boost creep. The waste gate ports kind of small. What i did to my old 16g is hone it out a bit. May help, may not. But first i'd check if you can adjust it like other people said. I dont think the 13g's can, but doesn't hurt to check.
Oh and my friends and i have had problems with the cheap boost controllers. If you get a new one id try a turboxs one.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I have a d16y7 in an 88 ef hatch it has a mitsu 13g turbo charger on it with a 14psi spring from what i am told. Right now I just got it running again and i want to limit the boost to like 5 psi due to stock tuning and half a tank of cali 87 in it. I have a very basic manual boost controller (90 degree hose connector with a checkball and a bolt.
NO.

You DO NOT under any circumstances run ANY boost on the stock ECU. It cannot take even 2 psi, let alone 5 or 12.
The fact that youre out driving the car like this and it hasnt blown up is a fucking miracle.

We cant help you if you dont first take care of the basic stuff. I dont know who told you that was okay to do, but you obviously have done zero research if you think that is okay by any stretch.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
ka-booom!

id pull the waste gate arm OFF of the flapper so it will be open all the time. that should limit boost to only a few psi at high engine speeds/load

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
i dont get it a half of moron can chip an ecu....a chip kit w/ base map is what $35 or so....should you race and beat the shit out of your car on a base map......no....will it help protect it from blowing yes....will it still be slow because they pull ashit ton of timing and dump a ton of fuel....yes

do what danz said if you must drive your car until your chip kit arrives

i dont know how to make this any easier

Xenocron Tuning: Chipping Kit w/ SST Chip (OBD1 ECUs) USDM Kit & JDM Kit #OBD1-SST
http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcart/phearablenet-usdm-obd1-chip-p-59.html

make sure to give them as much info on your set-up as possible....the more detailed the better the basemap will be

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Indeed.
Yah, its not good to boost on a basemap, but its infinitely more intelligent than running on a stock ECU. AT least with a basemap you know the ignition is retarded dynamically for boost and more than likely there is enough fuel...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NO.

You DO NOT under any circumstances run ANY boost on the stock ECU. It cannot take even 2 psi, let alone 5 or 12.
The fact that youre out driving the car like this and it hasnt blown up is a fucking miracle.

We cant help you if you dont first take care of the basic stuff. I dont know who told you that was okay to do, but you obviously have done zero research if you think that is okay by any stretch.

Ok, I am not driving this thing in this condition, I finished putting the turbo system back on, and have taken it for 2 test drives (second gear runs) for a total of probably 1/4-1/2 of a mile for both trips (not all in boost) total with the turbo system.

I am a car guy but hondas are not my forte,I didnt realize that the boost threshold on the honda ecu's were so low, I work on trans ams and camaros, and on those cars the ecu can compensate for a moderate amount of boost without risking damage to the motor.

I am here to ask questions and thats what i am doing, I dont appreciate the condescending attitude. Its better to come here and ask questions than to not ask questions in my opionion

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont get it a half of moron can chip an ecu....a chip kit w/ base map is what $35 or so....should you race and beat the shit out of your car on a base map......no....will it help protect it from blowing yes....will it still be slow because they pull ashit ton of timing and dump a ton of fuel....yes

do what danz said if you must drive your car until your chip kit arrives

i dont know how to make this any easier

Xenocron Tuning: Chipping Kit w/ SST Chip (OBD1 ECUs) USDM Kit & JDM Kit #OBD1-SST
http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcart/phearablenet-usdm-obd1-chip-p-59.html

make sure to give them as much info on your set-up as possible....the more detailed the better the basemap will be

thanks man i appreciate The help. I was starting to look into a basemap for my ecu as it is already chipped but with stock y7 programming to try and pass emissions in az. I drove the car out here to cali with the turbo system removed.

is this the type of info i need to give them

88 civic hatch
d16y7
13 g turbo with 14 psi spring
evo 8 intercooler
440 cc injectors (currently running stock injector)
stock honda map sensor
stock Exhaust (original exhaust)

any other info that i need to include

1 - 13 of 13 Posts