Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ive been meaning to ask this question for a while.After searching and typing in different variations into search im stumped.Before i went boost i was told to never boost in fifth gear which sounds crazy.I drive like a civlized human being but every know and then i remind myself that i have a bunch a power at my feet waiting to be unleashed.Nothing to crazy just 4k or 5k rpms.When on the freeway im in fifth gear hoovering around 60 65 and 70mph.

Tonight was different it was late real late and i was driving home.An e46 m3 was on the freeway with me and when we hit a tunnel he hit the gas.I didnt do anything but once we were side by side i let him know that im not just a ricer.He followed as i put it into 4th and pulled i shifted into 5th and continued until 6500rpms.When i realized what i was doing i felt like a dumb ass and let off.I need the truth to this question and i will not race on the freeway again.The motor is built with vitaras

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After all that car still behaves and it is not overheating but i bet egt was through the roof

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Not sure why you couldnt boost in 5th gear, if the car was properly tuned and your not at like 3000 rpm's.. Probibally because it puts too much load on the engine but -shrug- im not the boost guy... yet.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
4,639 Posts
why you ask do you plan on freeway racing or something lol. as far as i know it puts to much load.

·
Registered
323 Posts
nothing should be "too much load" if the car was tuned well on a load bearing dyno. The reason i dont rev the piss out my car in 5th is because its an easy way to spin bearings doing pulls from 2nd all the way to the end of fifth. i've never even done it before because my 4th gear goes to 220..thats fast enough for me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
5th gear is my econ gear. Small turbos, dx 5th gear, and a non-vtec sohc, is a winning combination for excellent pickup at any rpm and excellent gas mileage. Boost in 5th gear is fine as long as its not a top speed run or going 120mph for 15 miles. Be within reason. This is why I just stoped thinking I could make a race car a street car, too many problems.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i really think that this isn't a tuning issue..

is just because you will produce heat for more time... so if you have a good cooling system.. you wont have any problems....

makes sense to me...

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
op: YOUR AN IDIOT!

why not boost fifth? cause its retarded. your on a public road. there are zero controls in place to help you. doesnt matter if the engine is safe in 5th under boost, it shouldnt be done. going past 100 mph is retarded. ever hit a large dip or heavily rain grooved highway roads? ever have a wheel jerk due to those above conditions? if so, you should have more fore thought as to why its a bad idea to be going that fast on roads designed for cars doing 65-70 mph.

edit: so, some might read my post and say "well my tires are rated for 160 mph. i dont think its that dumb.". congrats, your an idiot also. the tires your refering to are designed to with stand the heat created at that speed, in a controlled enviroment. last i checked racing on the freeway is not a controlled enviroment.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
hmmmmm..... i've never heard this, i happen to boost 5th alot....but!!... i do it when i'm just cruising down the highway at normal speeds, instead of droping to fourth to pass someone i'll just hit the gas in 5th about 2/3 throtal and it picks up pretty quick but only hits maybe 5-7psi and i pass, then drop back to my normal driving. is that not good

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
hmmmmm..... i've never heard this, i happen to boost 5th alot....but!!... i do it when i'm just cruising down the highway at normal speeds, instead of droping to fourth to pass someone i'll just hit the gas in 5th about 2/3 throtal and it picks up pretty quick but only hits maybe 5-7psi and i pass, then drop back to my normal driving. is that not good
That's fine. The problem is a "top speed" style run, holding it in boost for 1-2 minutes will get things internally stupid hot, especially without an oil cooler.

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
3,177 Posts
i use to do this also on my wrx and my focus. i don't see a need to boost in fifth gear unless you need to pass someone but not to race. it has been done before but its all up to you.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
i boost 5th... not occasionally, but sometime me and the gf get into an arguement and i take the turbo car out... i pinned 5th gear at 7500 rpm...

call me an idiot or what, there was no traffic, it was 3 am excuses or not, i know i shouldnt be going that fast on the freeway it is stupid but man oh man the adrenaline

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem as long as the engine is properly built, tuned, and your cooling system is up to par. I love doing top speed runs and never had any issues in any of the boosted cars I owned.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
street racing is stupid and a good way to get called a retard here, but what about this:

what if you were on a large straight part of a track, like nurburg or something IDK ?

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
i dont get it... i realize it produces a lot of heat, but i averaged 95mph in my pos mazda for 300+ miles and then 40 miles, in my first honda, at 115 with no issue. these were n/a cars of course, but still i was at 5k rpm+ for many miles. the mazda was close to redline for 20 miles with it being 90 degrees ambient...

and 99ej6t, lol calm down on the op, its not like you never took your car above 65 when it was boosted, especially since you drive for work a lot. whats the point of more anything more than 180whp if not to go fast? i dont condone it, but indeed a person should really understand the risk before ever considering it. i dont race, but i do drive quite fast sometimes

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
turbo's are load based not rpm based

in 5th gear you have A LOT more load then in other gears, if you were tuned in lets say 3rd your engine will be under a bit more stress since it wasnt tuned for the load of 5th gear was tuned for 3rd

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
then why can a n/a car do 5k+ rpms in 5th for such long distances? would still be the same load, with even less hp to overcome resistance... sounds more like its a tuning matter more than anything.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts